cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-LTE APN settings?

Jewlee121
I'm a contributor level 1

I'm using a Huawei P20 and I hate this phone. 

My MMS (group chat) messages consistently go AWOL.  We've started referring to this as 'The Wormhole', funny.. but still irritating.  (They're probably routing thru China before being delivered to the recipient's phone/my phone HOURS later!  lol).

The LTE coverage here is spotty (1-2 bars tops), so I'm on GSM/WCDMA network (full coverage) in  my settings right now.  Are there APN settings to correspond to this?  The default APN is LTE.   I've Googled for APNs and the posts are old, maybe there's a new one.

I've twice replaced the SIM, no difference.  Chat support won't say if they can see my failed msgs.  (I worked for Bell and we had a tool that showed failed SMS/MMS logs.)

Anyhoo, thanks if you can throw some new settings my way.

~Julie

6 REPLIES 6

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

what app are you using for your group chats?

a few years ago Android Messages used to have this big bug of not sendind/receiving mms (however i didnt have any trouble with it on my p30 since i got it) 

so try sending mms via another app maybe to test it out?

Jewlee121

The default Google Message app that is preloaded was what I was using.  When I noticed the wormhole happening, I tried 3 different messaging apps, no change.  Since posting this, I plugged in the Fido-core APN and have stayed off the LTE network and I *think* that has helped.. (now that I've said it out loud......) 

I have 2 or 3 old phones kicking around here (Samsung, LG) and if it goes back to wormhole-ing again, I'll try the others.   

Also noteworthy that after a few months of wormholes, a carrier services app update comes up.. I've seen this 3x now, then messaging is ok for a while, then back to wormhole-ing again.   

Hello Jewlee121,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the non-LTE APN has helped.

Were you able to send pictures when your phone was using ltemobile.apn? If not, that might suggest your phone wasn't able to send MMS at all. You might consider verifying that your phone's ltemobile.apn had the MMS settings:

It's possible that the phone was using incorrect settings in their LTE APN. Often phone manufacturers will find APN settings from various sites on the internet which may not be correct.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Jewlee121

This Google Message app uses MMS for group chat (you can change it to send individual SMS to multiple parties but that just gets confusing) so it wasn't so much a picture problem as the MMS in general.  SMS are fine, I can send my group chatters individual msgs no problem, just the group chat via MMS gets wormholed.

(Never had this issue until switching to the Huawei, so when my upgrade rolls around I'm back to Samsung! lol)

Hello again,

Thanks for the clarification. However, I understood that group messages get sent as MMS. Most messaging apps send them the same way (unless they're set up for RCS). I was just curious whether your sending picture messages (also MMS) were affected or whether your issue was limited to group messages (sent as MMS).

If all MMS were not getting through, it could be a MMS settings issue in the ltemobile.apn. On the other hand, if only your group chat MMS get wormholed, then something else would be going on.

In any case, I'm glad it's working for you with the non-LTE APN.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jewlee121,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your MMS group chats. The ltemobile.apn should automatically route messages via the most appropriate network. However, if you wish to try the non-LTE APN, you can find the settings here.

Also, have you verified that your data settings (and your recipients' data settings) are enabled? While the data contained within MMS does not count against any data limits, the data does need to be enabled to both send and receive MMS.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers