cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No love for Huawei?

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Huawei P30 Pro is still being upgraded to the newest version of Android but it appears not here in Canada. You'd think Fido never sold this device up until 2021. It seems wrong to stop providing updates and pretend this device doesn't exist. This is an expensive flagship phone. 

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Proac,

Maybe you are not aware Fido does not make the updates it's up to the manufacturer whether or not they want to update their devices and since Huawei devices have been banned and they can not use any of the Google applications then it would not make sense for manufacturers to update/support a device in a region where it has been banned.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

The P30 Pro which was sold and promoted by Fido isn't subject to the ban on Google services. Which is why it's being updated in Europe and Asia presently with EMUI 12.  That's basically Huawei skin on Android 12.

Hello Proac,

I understand that particular model might not be subject to any ban from Google services. However, as far as I am aware, the update hasn't yet been released for Canada. In fact, Huawei makes no mention of North America in its Upgrade Plan. I'm not sure whether that's in response to the ban of Huawei in the United States (and more recently from Canada's 5G network) or whether it's normal as NA generally receives updates later than most other areas.

Mobile providers can only offer updates which are released by the phone manufacturers. You might consider contacting Huawei Canada to see if they have any further information regarding that OS update for Canadian devices.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers