cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S update ICS 4.04

CTM_66
I'm a participant level 3

I've read that the Nexus S update is starting to roll out finally, for ICS 4.04. Any word when it will be available in Canada? Is Google doing the update, or is Fido in charge? It's been a long wait. 

***Edited to add labels***

15 REPLIES 15

CTM_66

Finally got it manually updated to the GF's Nexus S. Works great, no issues. I gotta say though, having an iPhone myself, the update process for Android phones isn't making me a believer in ever switching. Once it's running, it's great, but geez, waaaayyy too long to wait for the OTA.

jcbeast
I'm a participant level 1

After the update just showed up on my wife's nexus s, I had to figure out how to force it on mine. In manage "all apps" I cleared the data on Google System Framework. Then restarted the phone...the update was waiting on restart.

Lupu

Gps locking is still garbage. Takes for ever to lock onto a satellite, and the OS perfomance overall is not as smooth as gb.

omnimodis78
I'm a participant level 2

I manually updated as per skideh's instructions and my nexus s works flawlessly.  For those of you, like me, who do not want to play around with our phones (rooting, etc.) please rest assured that by manually updating your phone, you're in fact not doing anything "unofficial" or inherently risky - it's just an update - but instead of waiting for the next 53 months from Fido to push the update to you, you're simply taking the initiative and doing it yourself.  The file is directly from Google, it is official and it works.  After the update, you do not lose anything - settings, contacts, etc etc are all there.

The battery does seem to discharge a little faster, but it's not a problem.  The update (upgrade?) is worth it!

RedRooster
Worked for me too, thanks folks! I'm now running ICS, and its glorious. Although I've only had the phone for one day. Smiley

skideh
Updated from here:
http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/IEzMw3FU.zip

For those who need further instructions, follow the steps from here:
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-and-install-android-4.0-ice-cream-sandwich-official-update-on-nex...

Really smooth update so far. Nothing has gone wrong Smiley

heron

Just installed it. It's sooo much better. Smooth, updated colors and beautiful. Easy to install. Just ensure that you DO NOT install the update from the redmondpie Walkthru as that is ICS 4.03. Use Skideh new link.. Excellent thank you very much.

beararms
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2
What's the benefits of the update? (Enlighten teh newb)

cccatchy
I had to do a combination of changing the date forward, going to settings manage all running apps and clearing the cache for Google Framework services. then on the dialer *#*#checkin#*#* and finally check for updates. had to do it many to
es but don't despair it will work eventually

Arkguil

It is finally here!

http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/465048-official-ics-4-0-x-discussion-links-thread.html

Now available for the i9020a (Which is the model sold by Fido.

Can't wait until tommorow to flash that baby Smiley

Arkguil

Installed and working like a charm. No issues to report.

Dot

Did you have to flash the radio after the update? which file did you instal?

Alzaibaq

Looks like there are some answers here... I think this will work with my device fine, but still verifying...

Alzaibaq

I have Nexus S and passionately waiting for the ICS too. Whoever has some more details on how to get ICS for Nexus S please leave us what you know?

NexusSjay

I also wonder when ICS will be ready for Fido user...I waited so long!!!