cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Canada but bought a phone with Fido

catalinamoraz
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I will be leaving Canada soon for an undetermined amount of time, probably for months. 

I recently bought a phone from them and I'm still paying it. Would there be an option to cancel my plan and just pay the phone? Or is it mandatory to have a plan while still paying the for the phone?

I signed up for a 24 month deal, but would there be the option of paying it all now?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Catalinamoraz,

Welcome to the community!

You noted that you recently purchased the phone, how recent was your purchase? If you weren't aware, Fido used to offer devices with subsidised plans. That is, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). However, Fido recently switched from their subsidised model to a financed Payment Program model. With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. Do you have a subsidised plan or a financed Payment Plan?

I believe that even with the new Payment plan you wouldn't be able to cancel the plan and just pay for the phone. They do state that:

Your Fido Payment Program service will be cancelled, and the outstanding Fido Payment Program balance will be charged on your next bill, if you do any of the following:

Cancel your Fido service...

~taken from link above

Cancelling a subsidised plan would also require you to pay the remaining balance on your device. So if you did cancel your plan, it's likely you would be required to pay the balance on the phone.

If you did choose to cancel your services, you should note that upon your return (if you do return), you would not be able to get the same plan and phone number you currently use. If you have a Payment program device and do expect to return in the future, you might consider requesting a temporary suspension. With the suspension, you would pay reduced service fees while continuing with your monthly device fees. Upon return, you would retain your current plan and phone number.

If you're eligible for the temporary suspension, you would need to contact customer service to have it set up. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers