cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Smartphone & LTE SIM Card

Claire124
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am using a regular flip phone Sony Z710i on pre-paid. Just received a New Android smart-phone with LTE as a gift.

Do I need to replace the old SIM card with a new LTE SIM card ($10)? And so I can benefit from the FIDO LTE network using WIFI with a data plan.

The new phone supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz, FDD-LTE 800/1800/2100/2600MHz

Your answer & help is appreciated. Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Claire124 wrote:

I am using a regular flip phone Sony Z710i on pre-paid. Just received a New Android smart-phone with LTE as a gift.

Do I need to replace the old SIM card with a new LTE SIM card ($10)? And so I can benefit from the FIDO LTE network using WIFI with a data plan.

The new phone supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz, FDD-LTE 800/1800/2100/2600MHz

Your answer & help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Claire124,

Firstly, are you planning to continue with pre-paid once you start using your new phone? I don't think LTE is available on pre-paid accounts.

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/9994#M9994

Secondly, if you do wish to enjoy LTE with a monthly plan, then you will need to get a new LTE SIM. Also, you should check your phones' SIM sizes. Many newer android smartphones use the smaller micro- or nano-SIMs whereas older phones use the mini-SIM. So you might have to get a new SIM regardless, if the sizes are different.

A note for if you do decide to go with a new monthly plan for LTE:

That phone only supports one of Fido/Rogers' LTE frequencies/bands (2600MHz). I don't want to confuse the issue too much, but I have posted other threads trying to figure out if one of the other frequencies is needed to gain access to the LTE network. As it stands, you might be able to use LTE with your new phone.

Your best option to test whether or not you can access the LTE network with your phone is to bring it into a Fido location and ask them to try a LTE SIM. They should be able to tell you if it will work or not.  If you are able to gain access to LTE, please let me know! Should you gain access to the LTE network, be aware that the LTE coverage with your phone might be limited, depending on the frequencies of the towers around you.

I apologise if things are sounding complicated and confusing. I just want you to be fully informed before you sign up for a monthly plan just so you can use LTE.

Lastly, you will not benefit from LTE when using wifi. They are completely separate from each other.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

A simplified table here. Smiley 

Requirement to use fido LTE network:

Are you eligible?

How to fulfill the requirement?

Subscription to the monthly service

No

Change to a monthly paid service with invoice.  ( you can keep the same phone number)

LTE SIM card

No

Buy a proper sized LTE sim and activate it for your number.

LTE supported device

Probably Yes

You need to verify whether your phone is compatible with fido LTE network:

700 MHz on Band 17

1700/2100 MHz on Band 4

2600 MHz on Band 7

Your should be compatible with 2600MHz LTE mode.

LTE supported Data add-ons or price plans including data

No

Use any current monthly plan with data.

Be within LTE coverage

Depends on your location

Check it Here :

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/CoverageSupport