cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 wifi Calling dropping calls

bettyjane
I'm a contributor level 1

Have a new Fido lg G6. Need wifi calling at home due to poor cell phone coverage. Wifi calling works but calls are dropped every 3 to 15 minutes. Within 5 seconds the wifi calling is back on and I can call again. Spent time with Fido chat (3 times) who were not able to resolve problem. They transferred me to Roger’s technical support. They tried taking wifi calling off my account and reinstalling. Problem persists. 

Telus is my internet provider. For nearly two years Wi-Fi calling worked with iPhone. New Fido lg g6 purchased February 14 and has been dropping calls ever since. Seems it is not the internet but the phone or Fido network. Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a solution or do I live with it or take the phone back?

Thanks,

Gary

39 REPLIES 39

Adelos

After the last OTA update I did a complete reset and restored my data but same random drop of the calls.

I did use the wifi calling for almost a year before that without issues, on same network btw.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Adelos,

It seems the issue is similar but not quite the same. You did mentioned:

it only started after the last update or the previous one before that it worked fine for 1 year.

Have you had the chance to do a factory reset and confirm if the feature works without the new updates? As long as your Android OS version is 6.0 or above, Wi-Fi calling should work fine on your LG G6.

Let us know how it goes so we can follow up on the situation with you!

Adelos

This is what I posted:

"

After the last OTA update I did a complete reset and restored my data but same random drop of the calls.

I did use the wifi calling for almost a year before that without issues, on same network btw."

I did mention that I did a factory reset and I'm not doing it the second time.

FidoKarl
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Adelos

Since the new update is there a pattern for your dropped calls? Only incoming calls or outgoing calls or it doesn't matter? Or if there is anything else you can think of?

Let us know.

Adelos

very much same as first post.

Any calls could be dropped, the icon for wifi calling would disappear and comes back after a minute from the call drop.

I deleted the cache and data for the wifi calling app multiple times. No help.

I suspected the wifi and I tested it on 2 other networks including running a continuous ping app to make sure the connection is not being dropped.

Only thing that is left is the G6 and fido network.  

I think it's the G6 software.

My last LG phone I think

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for clarifying,

We'll require some examples of numbers called and the time at which the calls were placed. We'll also be sending you a PM so we can take a closer look at it.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Adelos

Any number that I call on wifi calling gets dropped.   Just normal phone numbers.

At any time day or night.

even if I'm not on a call, the wifi calling icon will disappear and reconnect to your sever again then the icon reappear.

Random intervals usually less than 10 15 minutes.

I hope that helps u make the network better.

bettyjane

Adelos and Fido -

Problem you areexperiencing is exactly the same problem I had with two LG G6 phones EXCEPT for problem started after an update whereas mine was present from the time I got the phones. 

Neither Fido nor Rogers nor LG had ever heard of this issue and were unable and mostly unwilling to help. I spent a lot of my time working online (horrible experience) and on phone doing every single thing they suggested except sending my phone in to LG so they could try to resolve a problem that they had never heard of before but would give it the old college try while I waited with NO replacement phone for them to do their magic. 

I finally returned one of the G6's for a refund. Stuck with the other one but left the issue with Fido and my hope that they would find a solution. Little to absolutely no hope of that ever happening

Agree with your no more LG phones. Wish Fido would quit advertising wifi calling or put a rider on the lg g6 cause definitely doesn't work. And I bought both my G6's from Fido. 

I wasted my time working with Fido on this issue and was a bit amused to see the issue come back with your posting and Fido response.  Like Groundhog Day. Starting all over. Come on Fido you couldn't solve it before and you can't solve it now. Let people know that rather than having them jump through hoops. The problem lies with the phone and possibly your network but most definitely is not the Internet connection.

Adelle - don't waste your time. 

Hey @bettyjane

Thanks for your feedback Smiley

I assure you that we're doing what we can to get to the bottom of this. As this is not a known issue we would need more examples before reaching a conclusion. That being said, our technical support team have been made aware of your situation.

Please note, that both situations are similar but not exactly the same, which is why we would need to run the same battery of tests. We'll be sure to update this thread with any relevant information as soon as we receive it. Hope this helps.

DoeBoye
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Too funny.

Thought I'd weigh in here. This IS NOT a new issue. Just like the previous poster, this started happening after an update. The exact same issues.  I used wifi calling for well over a year without issue with this phone, and then suddenly, calls started dropping after 5 or 10 minutes (Incoming or outgoing. Does not matter).

I have spoken with Fido tech support at least 5 times regarding this issue. This was around the end of November, start of December 2018.

I ran all the tests requested.

I provided phone numbers that I was connected to when it happened.

Exact times when it occurred.

I've factory reset my phone.

I've gotten a new SIM card from Fido.

Nothing fixed the issue.

These users are experiencing the exact same problem and saying they are different is just a stalling tactic. More than likely @bettyjane  experienced it from the get go as she bought the phone new and probably had the newest update already installed, while @Adelos, like me, only experienced after an update.

To summarize: I reported this problem months ago. It is exactly the same issue with exactly the same phone. Fido has received all the information they have asked for and could not solve the problem. Tickets just kept getting closed and marked as resolved.

I've been a Fido customer for a VERY VERY long time, and once my G6 plan is up this summer, I will be looking for a new provider. WIFI calling is absolutely essential for me as I work from my basement and cell reception is 100% necessary, and the support I have received for this issue is less than stellar.

Fido: Take some ownership. Stop pretending you know nothing about this.

Hey @DoeBoye,

I'm really sad to learn that this is still ongoing. I understand the importance of being able to access a service that's essential for you and we really wouldn't want to see you go!

We'd like to take a second look at the account with you to check what exactly happened with the tickets that were already opened in hopes that it can help shed some light on the situation. 

I'll send you a PM shortly, talk soon.

bettyjane

Fido I still have one LG G6 and it still has call dropping problem. I remain interested in Fido resolving the issue. 

I am disappointed that Fido apparently it's unable to track or unwilling to admit to seeing this problem.

DoeBoye for this problem in November/December 2018 and went through all your investigative loops.

I contacted you in February with the same issues of call dropping and you told me you had never encountered this problem before. Did you mean before in 2019?  Because clearly DoeBoye had the same problem in 2018.

In February one of your moderators (see my PMs for her name) tried the LG G6 that she owned and reported to me and Fido that she had the same call dropping problem.

Then Adelos reported the same problem last month.

So let's agree that this is no longer an unknown issue or I am going to have to start questioning the truthfulness of Fido statements. 

I am no technical wizard but it seems in reviewing the posts that the most likely issue is the LG G6 operating system and how it works with the Fido network.  

So since it is obvious that there is a problem with wifi call dropping with the LG G6, Fido should work on resolving it. 

Good luck. 

Hey @bettyjane.

This is definitely not the experience that we want you to have with your phone.

We would need to take a look at your account to see what was done so far.

I'm sending you a PM to look into it. Talk to you soon.

Wired

Hi everyone,

@bettyjane 

@Adelos 

I have the same problem here, wifi calling dropping on lg g6 and q6 since the manufacturer update around feb.  Fido is asking me to return the device for repair but i know it is definately not my phone, it is related to a software update.  I think fido is hidding the issue by not advertising the users of this major problem and does not want to take the blame....  I am niw forced to switch provider with better signal to forget about wifi calling 😞

Adelos

The update could be LGs fault, for sure my last LG phone because they are super late in updating OS.

I will also shop around for carrier, just because I think I can do better value wise.

Wired

@Adelos 

If it is an issue with lg software update then i think it would be fido's responsibility to fix the issues with them at a more holistic level since this seems to affect many users. 

Adelos

Well, I agree that only fido can fix this, it could be a server issue because I don't see people with lg G6 on other networks having same issue.

So maybe it started with lg update but it's also related to fido software. 

Wired

@Adelos 

Yes only Fido can fix this with LG. This could be a worldwide issue tho as i can see post over the US over AT/T having same issues.     

It is certainly not the end users fault Happy

Hey @bettyjane

We're sad that we couldn't find a solution for you regarding the Wi-Fi calling. We can certainly understand your frustration there. We assure you that we try our best to provide a better experience to our customers.

We'd be happy to check your options with other devices. I'll send you a PM!