cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japanese Docomo ky-01l phone wont connect to fido at all, no bars?

calen
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi anyone that can help or at least tell me Im flat out screwed would be great. I checked befoe buying that the phone should work on fido, I called and searched this forum. here are my phones specs:

Ky-01l

• 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 800, 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : FDD-LTE 800, 2100(Band 1, 19)

Fidos specs: GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz

and 

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

so unless im wrong, I have 3 matching bands 3g 850 and 1900 and 4g 2100, right?

why will my phone not connect at all? i try to choose the carrier on my phone and rogers shows up every once and a while and most of the time says no networks. when rogers shows up in the list and I choose it, it just says cant connect right now. 

I really really want to use this phone please help me.

thanks

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Calen,

Welcome to the community!

@calen wrote:...

Ky-01l

• 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 800, 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : FDD-LTE 800, 2100(Band 1, 19)

so unless im wrong, I have 3 matching bands 3g 850 and 1900 and 4g 2100, right?...

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'. Unfortunately, that phone does not have any compatible bands/frequencies for LTE (see here). North American providers use 2100MHz together with 1700MHz (download and upload frequencies, respectively) as Band 4. On the other hand, Band 1 uses 2100MHz for both upload and download. Band 1 and Band 4 are not compatible.

So you should be able to use the device on the '3G' networks. Have you verified the phone is using the proper APN? You can verify those settings here. That said, if you're only seeing the Rogers network intermittently, it's possible your location is not adequately covered. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here. It's also possible that since the device is so small, its antennae is not as robust as your typical mobile phone. Are you able to try when you're closer to a cellular tower?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers