cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my 2020 Motorola edge + getting anymore security updates?

thinkman_ca
I'm a participant level 3

The latest security update I got is May 2022, and no more security update since

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Thinkman_ca,

The mobile providers can only offer updates which are released by the phone manufacturers. Unfortunately, I don't think that device is eligible for updates anymore as it is no longer listed as one of the devices receiving updates (see here). You might consider contacting Motorola if you wished further verification on the availability of updates for that device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

thinkman_ca

thank you this make sense. Just wondering, is it still safe t use my phone without the monthly security updates from the manufacture?

Hello again,

That's a question which has concerned cell phone users eversince phones became smart. There are many online resources stating that it is not safe to use a device without up-to-date security updates (see here and here). Nefarious characters will always try to find and exploit a vulnerability. Without up-to-date security updates, some of those potential vulnerabilites may be left accessible.  While there is some truth to those online resources, I think you would need to assess your acceptable level of risk.

It's the same with computers. Some people who don't feel the risk of their computers getting hacked might still be using Windows 7. That version of Windows has not received updates for some time now. On the other hand, some people would have ditched that version at the first mention of no more security updates.

Both my parents have devices which no longer receive security updates. For them, I think it's an acceptable risk because they only really use their devices as phones. They do not use the devices for financial purposes, they don't keep personal or important information on them, etc. If their devices were to get hacked because of out-dated security updates, they wouldn't lose any important information.

For myself, my device is coming close to its end of receiving security updates as well. While I'm not keen on having to upgrade to a newer phone, I will have to determine my level of risk. I do use a VPN and my antivirus protection is current. Is that enough to protect against a future exposed vulnerability? Maybe, maybe not. What's the likelihood nefarious characters can gain access to my device? I don't open or read any text messages and/or email I receive from unknown parties. However, number spoofing and hacked emails is fairly prevalent. I don't keep bluetooth, Wifi, or NFC enabled when not in use. Perhaps there are other means they can access an exposed vulnerability on devices of which I am not aware. That is a risk I may be willing to accept.

No one here would be able to tell you it's 100% safe. Unfortunately, there will likely be new vulnerabilites identified. Would those vulnerabilities be an imminent threat to your device? No one really knows. It's possible an exposed vulnerability on your device may never cross paths with someone wanting to expoit it. However, only you can decide whether the risk that they could gain access is too great.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi there @thinkman_ca

That is a good question and we believe if it wasn't safe, your manufacturer would have let everyone know already on their website. If you have further questions regarding security updates for your phone, it would be best to reach Motorola directly for that.

Hope that helps!