cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to share the connection for my internet stick

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I currently have an internet stick and am taking full advantage of the 2 months of unlimited data. However, as it is my only internet connection, I was wondering if someone could help me. Is there a way for me to share my connection from my computer to my other devices at home (PS3, Macbook, iPod, etc) directly from my computer? I have a wireless router, but I obviously can't plus my stick in there. Is there another way to do it?

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

oblaP
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

you can set up your PC as a router and it will allow routing/forwarding from other devices.  I belive windows 7 supports this, assuming you have windows 7 on the device you're plugging your stick into.  If that device is on a local wifi network, any other device on that network uses wifi to get to the pc/router where the packets are forwarded to the internet via the stick provider's network.

google "how to turn pc into router" or some such thing and you will see how to do it with windows or with third party software.

you may find that the speed is not anywhere near the "maximum" advertised but it will at least reach the "minimum".  Ah, yes, that would be zero 😛

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Well, so fare it's been rather fast. Alot faster then the stardard 7Mbps of normal HS Internet. It's just that I wanted to share the connection so that I could use it with my other devices.

Thanks, I'll look that up for turning my PC into a router (Yes, I do have Windows 7.)

Just wanted to give some feedback on my topic. I was able to share the connection and it didn't slow anything down. I have my PC (with the internet stick) running full time and I tend to stream movies on Netflix on my PS3 while chatting it up on my Macbook without any sign of it slowing down. It's obviously harder on the usage, but that's why I have unlimited for 2 months ^^

So yes it does work and it doesn't slow down the connection in any noticeable way. If anyone needs instructions I'd be happy to explain how I did it, but otherwise, just wanted to confirm that it is indeed possible.

Naughty_Angel
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I see from the forum that you set up your PC to enable your other devices to use the stick for internet access.  Can you please let me know how you did it, have been trying and am getting no where, so I am definitely doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

@ Community, can anyone assist?