Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 3gs and IOS5... - Toggle 3G on and off

Gio
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

Can somebody please confirm if the new IOS5 or 5.1 update on the Iphone still allows the user to turn on/ turn off 3g in settings? I know this setting is no longer offered on the Iphone 4 and 4S.

In the 3gs: Settings>General>Network>Enable 3G

Thank you.

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Yes. I am currently running 5.0.1 on my iPhone 3GS and enable/disable toggle for 3G still exists in my settings. I believe it is just the 4S that doesn't allow disabling 3G. I think it's the 4S' new chipset which doesn't allow switching between EDGE and 3G.

Gio

Thx Nick67.

I am just hesitant on taking the update as I read about many problems with IOS5, including this switch, battery issues and SMS full inbox and speed.

I am still running version 4.3.1.

Isyours running fine ?

Thx again.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I reacted the exact same way you are when the iOS 5 came out.  The iOS 4 was faster, but the iOS 5 is only slightly slower on my 3GS. I can't speak for the iOS version 5.0.0, the initial software. I went from 4.3.1 to 5.0.1. Apps just open a little slower, perhaps a bit laggy at times when you have a lot of apps open in the background, but overall nothing serious. I have most of my settings set to manual and I use the EDGE network myself.  Battery appears to be very comparable to that of the iOS 4, but seems to decrease faster.  The dramatic battery issues I hear about I haven't personally experienced.  I posted a thread previously regarding the same concerns you are having (http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/3318#M3318).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Gio

Thx a lot for your input Nick, I appreciate it.

I will hold off for now as everything is working good, except missing the odd call here and there even on EDGE. I Guess IOS5 has not resolved the dropping call issues.

I am alos used to the notifications of missed calls and SMS, don't really fancy the new look.

Thx again.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Glad to help Gio.  Dropped calls are typically a network issue or a hardware issue, not software. Also, I think you'd really like the new notification centre and the way notificaitons now appear on the lock screen. Pros outweigh the cons in my opinion in terms of the iOS 5.