Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian phone - which bandwidth

annie2k19
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,
I am looking to buy a REDMI android phone from India. How will I know which smartphone will work with Fido in Canada?

Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Annie2k19,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the community!

As mentioned below, the device would need to have compatible bands/frequencies. From past experience researching those devices, those devices from abroad tend to not include very many bands/frequencies compatible with North America. While Redmi also offers some Canadian versions of their devices, they also tend to have fewer compatible bands/frequencies. That said, from the few devices I checked on the Xiaomi India website, the devices appear to have the compatible band/frequency for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, they only appear to have one compatible band or frequency.  While the device should work on the networks, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies used at your area cellular towers. As far as I am aware, the compatible band/frequency is available for additional bandwidth and not necessarily a part of the main LTE backbone network. As such, coverage may not be as extensive as the LTE backbone, itself. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

It should be mentioned that the Global versions of those devices do appear to have more compatible bands/frequencies. Even so, you should also note that since the devices are not available from Fido, it is rather unlikely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) would work. That would also likely be the case with the Canadian versions of Redmi devices.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @annie2k19,

Please see here for the required Bands/Frequencies required for the Fido network.

You can also use this site here to look up the specifications of the device you have or you can check on the manufacturer's website.