Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried to port my previous number but failed. Now the number is lost

zhaoweiliutod
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, 

My case was similar to https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Support/I-tried-port-in-my-old-number-to-Fido-but-lost-it/m-p/1774.... I requested to port my phone number from freedom to a new line in my account. I received a text message and I replied "YES". The request failed at the end and my previous account at freedom had been closed. I called freedom but they could do nothing. I called fido and they helped me port the number one more time, but failed again, probably because the previous account was closed?  

What else can I do now? The post I linked said the issue was resolved but didn't mention how was it resolved. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2

zhaoweiliutod

Thanks! I have reactivated with Freedom (it was difficult, I contacted at least 5 customer representatives and most of them simply told me it's not possible and refused to provide any further assistance. But I was fortunate enough to get one helpful staff from Freedom). Now the number is ported to Fido

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @zhaoweiliutod!

Unfortunately we cannot transfer a number that is no longer active, which could explain why the request was not completed the first time.

The good news is that you can contact your previous provider to try reactivating the number, there is usually a grace period after you deactivate your account (timeframe varies by providers). If they are able to reactivate it, you can simply resubmit the port in request again after confirming that your number is active again.

Once the transfer is completed on our end, that will automatically close your account with Freedom once more, as you cannot have the same number active with 2 service providers at the same time.

Hope this helps!