Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei GR5 vs LG Stylo Plus 2

gmg74
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi y'all,

My wife's contract ends next month and for her next phone I'm considering either the Huawei GR5 or the LG Stylo 2 Plus.

Some questions about the GR5:

- The Fido site shows that Android 5.1 is loaded onto the GR5.  But I've seen other sites that state that it comes with Android 6.  So can it indeed be upgraded to Android 6?

- Does it support 802.11ac?  The Fido site says no, but I've seen differing info on other sites.

Some questions about the Stylo 2 Plus:

- The Fido site shows that Android 6 is loaded onto the Stylo 2 Plus.  But I've seen other sites that it can be upgraded to Android 7.  So can it indeed be upgraded to Android 7?

- The resolution is 1280x720.  With a 5.7" display, it is even possible to notice a difference between 1920x1080 versus 1280x720?

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Gmg74,

@gmg74 wrote:

Some questions about the GR5:

- The Fido site shows that Android 5.1 is loaded onto the GR5.  But I've seen other sites that state that it comes with Android 6.  So can it indeed be upgraded to Android 6?

- Does it support 802.11ac?  The Fido site says no, but I've seen differing info on other sites.

The GR5 can indeed be upgraded to Android 6.0.1 (see OS Upgrade Schedule). According to the Huawei website, the Canadian version of the GR5 does not support 802.11ac.

@gmg74 wrote:

Some questions about the Stylo 2 Plus:

- The Fido site shows that Android 6 is loaded onto the Stylo 2 Plus.  But I've seen other sites that it can be upgraded to Android 7.  So can it indeed be upgraded to Android 7?

- The resolution is 1280x720.  With a 5.7" display, it is even possible to notice a difference between 1920x1080 versus 1280x720?

While some versions of the Stylo 2 Plus have seen upgrades to Android 7, I haven't found any information whether the Canadian version has received it... yet. The OS upgrade schedule lists the OS as Android 6.0.1. Is it possible that it will receive Nougat? Sure. Is it guaranteed? No. Unfortunately, no one will be able to give a definitive answer until it's officially released.

According to the LG website, the Stylo 2 Plus' resolution is 1920x1080, 386ppi

**edit** And yes, the Canadian version of the Stylo 2 Plus does support 802.11ac**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

gmg74

Thanks all for your help!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@gmg74 The GR5 is also know as the Honor 5X, it comes with Android 5.1.1 and is upgradable to 6.0.1 which is out because I got the update on mine. The GR5 dose not support 802.11ac.

The difference between the two resolutions you quote to be honest depends on the user and what you are doing with it obviously the 1920x1080 would be better.

Edit: the LG Stylo Plus 2 has different names and models, Fido version is listed as supporting 802.11ac that's on the Fido website and on this site here. According to GSMarena here it is upgradable to Android 7 but i'm unsure of the exact model number for Fido's version.