Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei G8 4G connectivity issue

MOJ1
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I have a Huawei G8 which was working perfectly fine with Chatr network. The mobile data was at edge and in some places would go to 3G but the speed was superb. Youtube videos etc everything on one click. Ten days ago it had an update of the mobile software from Huawei from there onwards my ordeal starts. After the update the speed on Edge was next to zero. To solve this I put in Fidonetwork 4G showed immediately. It took all the settings everything automatically. The speed is awesome but the issue is it use goes back to edge after some time and the only solution to that is to disable 4G from the setting and then put it back on again and then it connects on 4G. The Apn the setting everything is fine the issue is only why it can’t stay there. Please assist. Details are as follows:

Bought from Pakistan

Huawei RIO-L01

EMUI version 4.0

Android version 6.0.1

·  Network

LTE – B1, B3, B7, B8, B20

3G – 900 / 2100

2G – 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Network...GSM/WCDMA/LTE

Roaming Data enabled

Location Mississauga Erin Mills

Regards,

Umer

** Edited to add labels **

8 REPLIES 8

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MOJ1,

Welcome to the community!

@MOJ1 wrote:

Huawei RIO-L01

EMUI version 4.0

Android version 6.0.1

·  Network

LTE – B1, B3, B7, B8, B20

3G – 900 / 2100

2G – 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Are you sure that is the version of your phone? Something is not quite adding up... According to those specifications, that phone has both of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and none of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone only has one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

I understand you said the phone was working perfectly fine and data would go to 3G on Chatr. However, since that phone does not have any of the '3G' compatible bands/frequencies, it shouldn't have been able to access that network. I also understand it may have been a typo and you might have meant 4G or LTE. But Chatr does not offer LTE, they only provide service on GSM (2G) and UMTS or WCDMA ('3G'). So you should have only been able to use 2G with them. Data speeds with Edge (2G) do not usually allow for adequate streaming of Youtube videos.

You noted the phone updated from Huawei recently. Is it possible the phone updated the software/firmware for a different version of the phone? Was it an over-the-air update or done via computer? If an incorrect software/firmware was used, it could account for the troubles you note.

You also noted that your phone goes from 4G to Edge after some time. Is that while you're using the phone for data or on its own? With the exception of voLTE, voice calls are sent over the 2G and '3G' networks. Generally, phones would standby in a data connection (4G or LTE if available) and switch networks when making or receiving calls. Unlike UMTS (WCDMA), the GSM network is not capable of simultaneous voice/data. Is it possible that the phone was switching networks to receive a call? Have you missed any calls during that time?

Additionally, coverage depends on the availability of matching bands/frequencies on your surrounding towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of the location and bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers here. Even if there is a close-ish tower, cellular reception might get obstructed by buildings, trees, etc. since the higher frequencies travel the shortest distance and have the least penetrative ability (see illustration posted here). Depending on your location, it's possible that the 2600MHz coverage is spotty and the phone switches you to the stronger 2G signal.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MOJ1

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. It’s not a typing error. With chatr it usually would connect on edge sometimes one could see the phone connecting at 3G. I know this coz i called and told them that this was happening i am paying for 3G speed and getting connected at edge speed. I understand that it seems odd that how it is possible but i saw it myself many times. On chatr the Edge speed was pretty good. you tube videos on one click as i told before. Again it seems odd but that how it was. I drive uber and need good speed for it i only changed to fido coz the speed went down. I dont know what was in this update that the phone that the edge speed went so dead that it felt like a 56K modem speed. As the phone is dual sim so i took Fido sim put it in sim card 1 and took the chatr sim and put it in sim card 2. Now the issue still is that the phone for some reason goes back to edge then i turn off 4G by going in setting and then activate it connects at 4G and speed is awesome again. The update was over the air. While using the phone it never goes from 4G to edge. It only when its left alone for some time or you go to a basement. I havent missed any calls as i explained i am using two sims one for data only Fido and one for voice and text Chatr. I understand what you’re saying with the 2G signal being stronger but why is it not able to switch from 2G to 4 G why do i have to manually reset it. If you can solve it somehow i would be grateful coz my work depends on good internet speed.

Regards.

Hello again,

Where did you find those specifications for your phone? As far as I can tell, the G8 Dual-SIM has slightly different specifications. These are the specifications for a dual-SIM version:

2G bands:GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 SIM 1 & SIM 2

3G bands:HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G bands:LTE band 800 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 ~ taken from here.

Admittedly, that site does not provide the model number for their particular dual-SIM version so these may not be the actual specifications for your device. That said, they do explain how your phone was able to access the '3G' network with Chatr.

Assuming those are the specifications of your phone, it would have one compatible band/frequency for LTE, band 4 or 1700/2100MHz.

According to those specifications, the phone is a dual-SIM dual-standby device. With such devices, only one SIM can support '3G'/4G at a time. The other SIM will limited to GSM (see downloadable G8 FAQ PDF file here). Since both SIM slots in that phone are capable of 4G, it doesn't matter which slot each SIM uses. When the Chatr SIM becomes active with '3G', it will switch the Fido SIM to 2G. **edit** I suspect that when you manually reset your Fido SIM to 4G, you're making that SIM the active '3G'/4G slot. Doing so, in turn switches the Chatr SIM slot to GSM. The Fido SIM slot probably wouldn't be able to automatically switch to 4G in case data use is needed with the Chatr SIM**

If you wish to only use Fido for data and Chatr for voice/text, you might consider trying to limit your Chatr SIM slot to 2G-only. While reception on 2G might not be as strong as using '3G', it should still be adequate for voice and/or text. It might also prevent the Fido SIM slot from switching to 2G.

With regards to the over-the-air update, is it possible that your phone updated the wrong firmware/software? If your phone was bought in Pakistan, the proper update may not be available in North America.

**edit** I understand it seems strange that both the dual-SIM and single-SIM devices would have the same model version labelling. However, the dual-SIM section of that FAQ notes: Shipped RIO-L01 phones include both single SIM card and dual SIM card versions**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MOJ1

Hi,

Sorry my bad these are the correct details:

RIO-L01:
 LTE FDD Band 1:1920MHz~1980MHz (uplink),2110MHz~2170MHz (downlink)
 LTE FDD Band 3:1710MHz~1785MHz (uplink),1805MHz~1880MHz (downlink)
 LTE FDD Band 7:2500MHz~2570MHz (uplink),2620MHz~2690 MHz (downlink)
 LTE FDD Band 8:880 MHz~915 MHz (uplink), 925 MHz~960 MHz (downlink)
 LTE FDD Band 20:832 MHz~862 MHz (uplink),791 MHz~821 MHz (downlink)

Is there a way to undo the update. Life was really good without the update. If anyone knows please do tell me. I also feel that since the mobile was bough in Pakistan it might have picked up the wrong update in North America.

The setting are already set for 4G/3G for Fido and 2G for Chatr. To test that the issue is not being caused by chatr sim i disabled that sim and then checked the Fido sim on its own. Again its going to Edge and not comming back to 4G on its own.

Thanks Again.

Regards.

Hello again,

Okay, those are the specifications you noted previously.

Unfortunately, there is no way to undo an update. However, if you can find the proper firmware, you might be able to reflash the software. The tricky part is finding the correct firmware. These sites here and here show links to the Middle Eastern Marshmallow version firmware. This site shows the Ghana Lollipop version firmware, while this site shows the firmware for the European Lollipop version. I have not found any specific version from Pakistan.

Using the improper firmware version might cause issues on your device. Addtionally, if done improperly, it could render the device inoperable. If you do decide to follow this route, you might consider familiarising yourself with such procedures and determining the proper firmware required by your device.

If the issue is actually the result of a weak 4G signal issue, have you tried to use the phone at other locations where 2600MHz might be stronger? If the phone switches to 2G because it's stronger, it's unlikely to switch back automatically until it receives adequate 2600MHz.

**edit** Just so we don't miss anything... since your phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn**

Hope this helps and best of luck! Smiley

Cheers

MOJ1

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful links. I think for now  i will stick with not doing any thing with the software as other than this it is working perfectly. I do want to share with fellow members that i did change the power setting and due to which the areas where 4G signal is strong it does not go back to 2G. Only when i go to basement or area where 4G is not strong it comes back to 2G and doesn not come back to 4G even if the signal is strong e.g my work area has strong 4G signal no issues there my home is a basement so there i have more issues. But with changing the power setting it less manual moving back and forth.

@Cawtauyour awsome.

Regards.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@MOJ1 If the problem started after the software update try clearing the cache partition then restart the phone and see if it helps. I know you said the APN settings are correct but double check to make sure it is correct you can find the details here.

MOJ1

Hi I did a complete factory reset but to no improvement.