cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much for Zone 3 Daily Internet Rate?

auroramaple
I'm a participant level 3

I only used 5.10MB this month in Asia (which is Zone 3 if I'm understanding right), but I was charged extra of $79.92 under the account called "Zone 3 Daily Internet Rate." 

I don't understand why I'm charged this much when I clearly didn't use more than the 10MB limit. 

This happened to me last month too, and I'm starting to get a little bit annoyed.

Could I have an explanation of how this "Zone 3 Daily Internet Rate" works?

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

auroramaple

Hi Catherine, thanks for the quick response!

I did check the details of the invoice, and it says I've only used 5.10MB which is clearly under 10MB and I'm not supposed to get charged. It does say however that I was charged $79.92 for "8 messages" of "Zone 3 Daily Internet Rate." I have absolutely no idea what these 8 messages are, and I still don't think I should pay this much. I would really appreciate it if I could get help fixing this!

@auroramaple wrote:

Hi Catherine, thanks for the quick response!

I did check the details of the invoice, and it says I've only used 5.10MB which is clearly under 10MB and I'm not supposed to get charged. It does say however that I was charged $79.92 for "8 messages" of "Zone 3 Daily Internet Rate." I have absolutely no idea what these 8 messages are, and I still don't think I should pay this much. I would really appreciate it if I could get help fixing this!

Hello Auroramaple,

Welcome to the community!

Did you send/receive any MMS while you were over there? Data within MMS are not counted against your monthly allotment while on the Fido/Rogers networks. However, roaming data charges would apply if MMS are sent/received outside of Canada. If you sent/received multiple MMS on different days, that could explain the charges. The 10 Mb for $9.99 is only for a 24hr period. If one MMS was sent/received on one day and another MMS sent/received on another day, that would be considered two charges -- even though it used less than the 10 Mb.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

auroramaple

Hi Cawtau,

I didn't receive any MMSs while data was on, but you're right about getting charged $9.99 a day regardless of the amount used. Thought the $9.99 rate was only when the data usage per day was over 10MB..

Thanks for your help! Smiley

No worries @auroramaple! We'll sort this all out together 😃

The charge of $72.92 for 8 messages of  Zone 3 Daily could indicate 2 things: 

1) This could indicate that you used up 10MB X 8 times. 

* Since you mentioned only used 5.10MB, then we know that's not the case. 

2) This could also indicate that Mobile Data connected on 8 days, causing the charge of $9.99 for each day it connected. 

Take a look at the Roaming Transmission Details on the bill. 

Can you see on which specific days the Data connected?

Can you count up to 8 different days there, with KB/MB used on each day?

That could explain why the charge of $9.99 was billed, on each day it connected! 

If the Mobile Data connected each day (even if by accident) the charge of $9.99 is automatically billed, allowing you up to 10MB per day (even if they are not used in full). 

Let me know if you find the information there!

auroramaple

Yeah, I think the second case is what's happened to me. Didn't know I'd get charged $9.99 per day only for using data regardless of how much I use that day.. 😕

At least now I know where these numbers are coming from.

Thanks for your help! Smiley

Ah Makes sense! Glad we figured it out together Very_Happy

Cheers!

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi there @auroramaple

Thanks for reaching out & great questions!

Considering the rate to use Data in Asia, that amount doesn't sound quite right...

The international data roaming rate for Asia is $9.99/10 MB, per 24h. 

Now, the amount of MB used-up during your trip should be printed on your bill, usually in the last pages (Roaming Data Transmission Details, or something along those lines.)

Are you able to see how many MB were used here?

To view or print your detailed online bill:

- Click on "Billing & Payments"

- Select the month you'd like to see in the drop-down list

- Scroll down & click on "Save / Print this bill (PDF)" 

Here's a few pointers about the Data Roaming rate: 

• $9.99 is charged automatically upon your first byte of data usage every 24 hours
  • Each time you're charged, you'll have access to a bucket of data to use over a 24 hour period
  • We send you a text message when you're approaching the included bucket of megabytes each day (within 24 hours). If you decide to use more, you'll only be charged another $9.99 (for access to another bucket).

You can find out more about this right on Fido.ca here

I hope this helped pin-point how the Data Roaming rate works =D