cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

curious
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi I currently have 1 home phone line using the WT720.

I would like to add another home phone and have an opportunity to buy a used WT723.

In order to test it can I bring my sim card from my WT720 and put it in the WT723? Will that work or does the new WT723 have to be married to the sim card?

Also I have the opportunity to get another WT720, or WT721 or WT723. Right now I don't have name display will I get that with a newer model? Is there any other advantage of getting the WT723 over a WT720 if name display means getting a more expensive plan?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Curious,

You should be able to test your SIM in a different device.

I think the WF723 version might be the better option. As far as I can tell, both the WF720 and WF721 are only compatible with the 2G and '3G' networks (see here and here). On the other hand, it appears as though the WF723 version is also compatible with voice-over-LTE (voLTE) and LTE networks (see here). The additional LTE compatibility might be relevent as Rogers is in the process of decommissioning the GSM networks (see here). While there has been some delays to that timeline, I would expect the full GSM sunset to occur in the near future. You can view the updated band/frequency compatibility here. Going forward, I'm not sure if there will be plans to decommission the UMTS (WCDMA) networks in favour for LTE and 5G in the future.

With regards to Name Display, you are correct in that functionality was not available with the WF720 model. However, I believe it was available with the WF721 model. When that version was first introduced, there was discussion whether old grandfathered plans also had Name Display included. I think it should be available with grandfathered plans as well (see here). I think the newer model should also be compatible with Name Display.

If you would like to verify whether old grandfathered plans include Name Display, you would need to contact customer service. They can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

curious

Thanks for all the information. I will most likely try to get the newest model (WT723) if possible.

For testing I have been trying to figure out the sim card situation and it looks like the WF723 is a nano sim so I might be out of luck taking my current sim from my WT720 to see it is works as I don't think the WT720 is a nano sim. I'm not sure if my WT720 sim is locked or not, I have had the WT720 since the initial $10 launch a while ago.

The seller has said it was used on the Fido network but has been deactivated so hopefully it is just a matter of taking it to a Fido kiosk and getting a new sim programmed.