cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone low signal strength

miakoda
I'm a participant level 3

My home phone reception has gone from full green bars 3 months ago (when I got the device), to all red bars last month, and now since 2 weeks it only has 1 green bar.

Phone call connections are poor and break up, and disconnect.

At times there is no dialtone, sometimes there's a fax sound instead of a dialtone, and other times it takes a while for there to be a dialtone. 

A few times there has been a message on the phone saying "line in use" but there is no other phone in the house being used.

Is there a fix to these problems?

4 REPLIES 4

RaMut
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I am experiencing the same issue. I did contact tech suport and spent few days long hours on the phone with tech suport, NO SOLUTION yet.  Evenmy mobile has only two bars and drops while I am on call from my home. Now I am using home WiFi calling.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Miakoda,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Home Phone service. Have you tried to move the unit to different locations in your home? Many factors can affect cellular signal and it's possible that recent changes in your area could have affected the signal at your home. I understand your issue is with a home phone, however, the device uses the cellular network.

Do you also have Fido cellular service? If you do, is your mobile phone able to receive adequate signal?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

miakoda

Yes, I have tried moving it to different locations (windows).  I also have a cell phone, which used to have a good to fair reception, but that too has recenlty changed and I find it roaming or without a reception, however, sometimes one has a better signal than the other.  I wouldn't have bought the home phone device is I didn't have a good or fair reception to begin with.  I live in a second story house in the country, so there's no new skyrise buildings that went up, no new home repairs that could change the signal either.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional informaiton. From what you note, it does sound like it's a cellular reception issue. I understand you don't live in an urban setting. As mentioned, many factors can affect cellular signal, including foliage from large trees.

What model of the Home Phone adapter do you have? From what I understand, some of the older models are only GSM and WCDMA (UMTS) compatible. Those would not be compatible with the LTE network. You should note that Rogers has been in the process of decommissioning the GSM network (see here). While there have been delays, I expect the full GSM sunset to occur in the near future. You can view the updated compatible bands/frequencies, here. Going forward, the old Home Phone adapters will only have one compatible band/frequency. I'm not sure if there are newer home phone adapter versions available from Fido which are LTE compatible.

Is your phone LTE-capable? It sounds like you might live close to the edge of Fido/Rogers coverage. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here. You might consider contacting Technical Support to see if there are any know issues at your surrounding cellular towers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers