cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido definitely drains battery

Dorothy1
I'm a participant level 3

Switched SIM card into another phone today because battery was draining so fast on the iPhone I had to charge it twice a day, even though I barely used the phone, and basically never as an actual phone. Dragged the whole usage down. Problem solved. I'll see how it works on android. Overall, disappointed with Fido (for many reasons) but not sure any other carrier is any better. Thoughts/insight from other Fido peeps? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

drizzletony
I'm a participant level 2

I just switched from Freedom to Fido with the same iphone 6s couple of days before, I am in Markham, and I guess the fido signal should be better than freedom and but I noticed the battery drained so faster than in Freedom. I have to turn on the low battery mode and turn off the location and notification services. any idea? Thanks 

Hello Drizzletony,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having battery issues. I understand you did not appear to have the same issue with Freedom. However, as previously mentioned, your location in relation to the cellular towers could be a contributing factor. Fido/Rogers would generally have better coverage than Freedom as the latter are only a regional provider. That said, it all depends on your location relative to the cellular towers. It's possible that your location just happens to be closer to a Freedom tower than Fido/Rogers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here. What signal strength does your phone receive?

It would also be important to note that the iPhone 6S was discontinued 4-6 years ago (see here). Batteries do tend to degrade over time. It's possible that the issues you note are related to battery degredation. I have had to replace the battery in my Galaxy S5 numerous times because of similar issues. Have you considered checking your phone battery's health (see here)?

You might consider checking other sources (ie here and here, etc) for additional information and possible solutions,

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

drizzletony

Thanks Cawtau,

That issue had been resolved after I reset and re-installed my iPhone 6s ios. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Dorothy1

Do you encounter the same battery drain everywhere? With a different provider? I don't think Fido, per se, is causing your battery to drain more quickly. However, I do think it's possible that your location in relation to the cellular towers is a contributing factor. That is, weak cellular signal can result in battery drain -- even if connected to Wifi.

Firstly, if cellular signal is weak, the phone is constantly searching for a stronger signal. In addition, when cell coverage is weak the phone increases its output power in an attempt to maintain a connection. Both of those factors will be a big drain on battery resources.

Different phone models have different antennae strengths. It's possible the android phone won't have the same battery drain if it is has a better capacity to connect to weaker signals.

Unfortunately, if you're located in an area of weak cellular signal, there isn't much that can be done to improve the signal. One possibility would be to get a signal booster for your location. However, that would require an additional investment.

Alternatively, how old is your iPhone? It's also possible that your battery just needs replacing. Older batteries do not hold a charge as well as newer batteries.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Dorothy1

Which iPhone are you using? And how old is it now?

Sorry to hear about all that. Anything we can help with on our side?

Dorothy1

Hi Charles,

Yes, it's an older iphone (4s) and I'm sure that's a big part of the problem, but as soon as I took out the sim card, my battery no longer needed to be charged at least twice a day, so that tells me something. Also the weak cell towers explanation contributes to the problem, too, I'm sure. We have the worst cell reception with Fido than other providers, here in Kelowna. I've talked to several friends about this, and even Fido itself. The phone even ping off towers down into Washington state and then my location thinks that's where I am when I'm in the middle of Kelowna or on the westside at home. Most often data is so slow or it doesn't work at all. It's annoying to say the least. We may switch providers soon, if another one can guarantee better service. Sorry Fido.

Hello again,

If memory serves, the iPhone 4S was not LTE-capable. As such, that phone would only be able to acces the 2G and/or '3G' networks. Since it appears as though your location receives weak signal, your phone would likely only be able to connect to either the 2G or the '3G' network using HSPA (H) rather than the faster HSPA+ (H+) protocol. That could explain why your data is slow or doesn't work at all.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Dorothy1

Depending where you are in Kelowna, you should be covered by our strongest LTE network. 

We'd be sad to see you go! Have you thought about upgrading? Don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to take a look at your options together. Smiley