cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO PHONE INSURANCE IS A SCAM.

Tammycook
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

So a few months ago, my son broke his phone screen, no problem... we have device protection. Reported it then, but we were told it'd cost $$$ to send it in. We chose not to because it was bear Christmas, and had spare phones he could use.

Fast forward to today when we tried to get it fixed finally. We get told that since the sim was switched into another phone, the warranty is now on that phone. What!? I did not buy this phone from fido, and nobody told me this was a thing!? I'm still paying Fido for the phone the warranty was purchased for!!!!!!

Plus I already sent in a bloody ticket for it being broken, and that was accepted!?!?

#scam #scam #scam

Once im out of this contract I'm switching companies. This is criminal.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tammycook,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear of your situation. However, I'm not sure it can be considered a SCAM. They did approve your initial claim, but you chose not to proceed at that time. I do understand your reason for not having the device repaired at that time. However, they did offer to repair the device as per their device protection.

That said, there seems to be conflicting information regarding using a different device with your son's SIM. The device protection used to be associated with the most current device using the Fido SIM. However, as far as I am aware, Likewize had changed their policy to IMEI-based protection:

Likewize2.jpgLikewize1.jpg

~taken from here and here.

I'm not sure whether different policies are in place depending on when the device protection was purchased, though.

Had you tried to claim the initial approved request or did you submit another claim? As far as I am aware, customers are required to file a claim within 60 days of incident. However, I have not been able to find any information regarding a timeframe for proceeding with the claim. The only references appear to be collecting the device within 30 days or requiring proof within 60 days.

Any claim decisions would be from Likewize. Were they the ones you contacted? You might consider verifying with them regarding the IMEI-based protection.

You should note these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customers' accounts nor any details of your situation. If you wish to discuss the matter you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers