cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double taxes?

jozzerodn
I'm a participant level 2

I was trying to upgrade my device to a Pixel 5, but when I go through the process in the website I noted that the monthly payment is taxed, and on top of that, the monthly bill (which includes the plan and the month payment of the phone) is also taxed. Why is this happening and why isn't just one tax that covers the whole bill? It's pretty much selling the phone, plus taxes, and taxing me on the payments...

2 REPLIES 2

jozzerodn

You're right, however, it's honestly pretty confusing how the whole things is calculated. That's why there are so many questions regarding the same topic. 
In any case, thank you for the clarification. It was more helpful than the person that took my call. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jozzerodn,

Welcome to the community!

I don't think they are charging double taxes. Yes, the provide the monthly payment for device financing with taxes. However when they provide the summary, the taxes are only on the monthly plan for services. As you note, the monthly installments they show already includes taxes. I provided an explanation of their breakdown here.

If you do the math, I think you'll also note that the taxes are only charged once for the device financing and once for services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers