cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't buy a new phone online (your website is a mess, sorry)

littlegiant59
I'm a participant level 3

I can't buy a new phone online. I'm logged into my Fido account (I use your website to pay my bills all the time) but when it comes to buying a new phone, the process always stalls after selecting the new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10).

First of all, there is no option to continue without selecting an add-on data package. I don't want a data package. I just need the phone as advertised, $0 down, $19.99 / month. There is no option to continue.

Even if I add a data package (which I don't want) and try to continue, I keep getting a pop-up message saying 'This information is not available' or something like that and that's it. Click on that to close the dialog and I'm back to the add-ons page.

I tried closing my browser, clearing cache, the whole nine yards. Tried the whole process again and now I can't even get to the add-ons page. I select the same phone, next screen is the same except now there's no add-ons section on the right side like before. No other buttons to click on.

Sorry but your purchase a new phone online page is a mess. It's just not working. And I desperately need a new phone. My Huaweii P10 Lite is dying.

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Littlegiant59,

Welcome to the community!

What phone plan do you have? It's possible your plan is not compatible with the newer Fido Payment Progam plans. That Samsung Galaxy S10 offer you noted specifically notes on select plans. I'm not sure what data package add-on you refer, most plans would include data.

If you're still have difficulities, you might consider contacting customer service to see of your plan is compatible. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

littlegiant59

Thank you for the reply.

I have a 200 mins/month talk & text plan w Unlimited talk & text on evenings and weekends. My current phone is a Huaweii P10 Lite. It was a $0 down, $25/month plan that I got about 3 years ago. Paid off the plan about a year ago. After that it just defaults to a $25/month plan with no contract.

I just need to buy a new phone and have a similar plan to what I already have. I don't necessarily need to 'upgrade' my current plan. A brand new plan is fine. Why does my current plan have to be compatible with the new one?

I'm trying to avoid having to contact customer service as I hear there are incredibly long wait times on account of the COVID-19 crisis. That's like a last resort. I was hoping a Fido rep here could answer the simple question as to whether the phone plans offered on the website absolutely require that you take an add-on or not. 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. When you got your Huawei P10 Lite, Fido used a subsidy model for providing phones/devices to customers. Fido recently switched to a financed model. The previous subsidy plans might not be compatible with the option to finance phones.

Looking at those phone options online, it appears that the promotion for the S10 requires a plan with data, talk, and text. While the offer for the A20 does appear to have a talk and text option, you might need to upgrade your plan to unlimited Canada-wide minutes.

I can understand not wishing to have to wait to contact a customer service representative, so you might consider sending the PM to @FidoSolutions .

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

littlegiant59

I'm currently engaged in a private message conversation with FidoSolutions but the rep seems clueless and is just dancing around my questions. You have provided better details and insight into my situation. Thanks for your help.

littlegiant59

Okay I have successfully taken the Samsung A20 to the Shipping Address screen but only by selecting the first add-on (which I don't need). Is there no way to buy a phone online without selecting a data package add-on? I've bought 3 phones with Fido over the years (all at the store at Alexis Nihon Plaza in Montreal). All without a data package. Don't need one. I just need a phone.

Can a Fido rep please advise?