BlueBorne vulnerability in Android devices

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

BlueBorne vulnerability in Android devices

https://www.armis.com/blueborne/

When can we expect Fido to start pushing firmware updates to patch this vulnerability? It seems to be a pretty serious one.

Accepted Solution

Re: BlueBorne vulnerability in Android devices

Hey @DavieDavieDave!

@KAPABLE-K is correct Smiley

Keep a close eye on our OS upgrade schedule to know when a new update is coming!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted

Hello @DavieDavieDave,

Google already made a security patch and made it available as part of the September security update, they also notified its partners. Now we have to wait for the other manufactures to implement the update and then push it out to devices or send it off the the providers who will test it then push it out to the devices.

If the manufactures did not provide the update as yet then there is nothing Fido can do.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Solution

Hey @DavieDavieDave!

@KAPABLE-K is correct Smiley

Keep a close eye on our OS upgrade schedule to know when a new update is coming!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted

The problem here is that, Fido, to date have not posted anything about software updates for the LG G6 on the link provided. I've had the device pretty much from launch. Last security update was April 1 2017.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@DavieDavieDave We update the schedule as soon as we get information on upcoming updates. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

I've been "keeping a close eye" on the update schedule for 6 months (LG G5).
It's like watching paint dry, or more accurrately, watching a wall and waiting for it to paint itself.
Sorry, but the latency is very frustrating.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Soglen,

I understand it's frustrating having to wait for an OS or security update. However, are you sure the updates were actually provide by LG Canada for that device? As far as I can tell, the latest update for that phone is the H83120b which included the March 2017 security patch (see here and here). What version of the firmware is your phone using?

If the security updates are not being provided by LG Canada, then it's not possible for the mobile providers to forward an update.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted

https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

LG have already released security patches on a monthly basis, yet Fido hasn't pushed them out.

Your move, Fido.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@DavieDavieDave wrote:
https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

LG have already released security patches on a monthly basis, yet Fido hasn't pushed them out.

Your move, Fido.

Hello DavieDavieDave,

Yes, LG has provided monthly security patches. However, you will note the footnote:

Depending on regions and carriers, updates may be released monthly, quarterly or irregularly.

LG Canada has not (at least that I have been able to find) been providing the monthly patches **edit**(for the G5 anyway)**. The patches still have to be provided from LG Canada first before the Canadian mobile providers will be able to forward them. You might consider contacting LG Canada.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

@FidoMariaI have a device, a Samsung Galaxy S4, acquired via service contract with Fido.  However, the Samsung S4 isn't even on the device OS Upgrade Schedule anymore!  Does Fido stop supporting devices while they are still under contract?  Am I out of luck for the 9 months left on my contract?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12