Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueBorne vulnerability in Android devices

DavieDavieDave
I'm a participant level 3

https://www.armis.com/blueborne/

When can we expect Fido to start pushing firmware updates to patch this vulnerability? It seems to be a pretty serious one.

11 REPLIES 11

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @DavieDavieDave,

Google already made a security patch and made it available as part of the September security update, they also notified its partners. Now we have to wait for the other manufactures to implement the update and then push it out to devices or send it off the the providers who will test it then push it out to the devices.

If the manufactures did not provide the update as yet then there is nothing Fido can do.

Hey @DavieDavieDave!

@KAPABLE-K is correct Smiley

Keep a close eye on our OS upgrade schedule to know when a new update is coming!

soglen
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I've been "keeping a close eye" on the update schedule for 6 months (LG G5).
It's like watching paint dry, or more accurrately, watching a wall and waiting for it to paint itself.
Sorry, but the latency is very frustrating.

Hello Soglen,

I understand it's frustrating having to wait for an OS or security update. However, are you sure the updates were actually provide by LG Canada for that device? As far as I can tell, the latest update for that phone is the H83120b which included the March 2017 security patch (see here and here). What version of the firmware is your phone using?

If the security updates are not being provided by LG Canada, then it's not possible for the mobile providers to forward an update.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

DavieDavieDave
https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

LG have already released security patches on a monthly basis, yet Fido hasn't pushed them out.

Your move, Fido.

@DavieDavieDave wrote:
https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

LG have already released security patches on a monthly basis, yet Fido hasn't pushed them out.

Your move, Fido.

Hello DavieDavieDave,

Yes, LG has provided monthly security patches. However, you will note the footnote:

Depending on regions and carriers, updates may be released monthly, quarterly or irregularly.

LG Canada has not (at least that I have been able to find) been providing the monthly patches **edit**(for the G5 anyway)**. The patches still have to be provided from LG Canada first before the Canadian mobile providers will be able to forward them. You might consider contacting LG Canada.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

DavieDavieDave

The problem here is that, Fido, to date have not posted anything about software updates for the LG G6 on the link provided. I've had the device pretty much from launch. Last security update was April 1 2017.

@DavieDavieDave We update the schedule as soon as we get information on upcoming updates. Smiley

fuzzywuzzy
I'm a contributor level 1

@FidoMariaI have a device, a Samsung Galaxy S4, acquired via service contract with Fido.  However, the Samsung S4 isn't even on the device OS Upgrade Schedule anymore!  Does Fido stop supporting devices while they are still under contract?  Am I out of luck for the 9 months left on my contract?

Hello Fuzzywuzzy,

As noted previously, with the exception of Google devices, updates need to be supplied to the mobile providers from the device manufacturers. The Galaxy S4 is no longer receiving any more OS updates or security updates from Samsung. As many already know, the S4 did not receive the Marshmallow update from Samsung. The latest firmware for that device is Android 5.0.1 with build I337MVLUGOH1 (see here).

I understand this thread is regarding the security updates in particular. Samsung has decided to only provide the security updates for the last two years of devices (see here). It should be noted that those updates would be subject to regional availability as well. It would be Samsung Canada who decides whether those updates are forwarded to the Canadian mobile providers.

Unfortunately for us (S5 is also no longer receiving the updates), the security updates are not available for Fido to provide.

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fuzzywuzzy

@CawtauI guess the unfortunate reality is that some of us bought phones from Fido that were already unsupported at the time of purchase/contract!