cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9 for Note 8?

tc250
I'm a participant level 3

On the OS Upgrade Schedule it says the current OS for Note 8 is Android 9.  How come I'm still on Android 8, and when I try to update Software it says I'm up to date?  Is there another way to update the OS on my phone?

8 REPLIES 8

FidoKenny

Hey @tc250 

What I see here is that the latest update for the Note 8 is Android P 9.0

You should be able to get the update on your device.

In your settings, you should be able to scroll down and touch download updates manually.

From there, you should be able to find the latest update available for your device.

Can you try that on your end and let us know if it works?

tc250

There is no button in settings that allows me to download updates "manually" however, as I said before when I try to Check for updates in the Softeare updates screen, it says I'm already up to date.

FidoKarl
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @tc250 

Can you verify if you have memory available in your phone?

If you reboot your phone or even factory reset your phone do you see the option to update on Android P 9.0?

Let us know if that works.

tc250

Says I have 35.5gb available. Rebooting my phone didnt give me any update notifications. Haven't factory reset my phone though.

@tc250  is your phone from Fido? 

You shouldn't have to factory reset your phone to receive the update so don't even listen to that. 

You can try using the Samsung Smart Switch and see if you can get the update, you can check out this guide here. If that does not work you can try this.

tc250

I've tried the smart switch, it also says my phone is up to date. My phone was not purchased from fido.

Hello Tc250,

Welcome to the community!

Where did you purchase your Note 8? It's unlikely that Fido would push an OTA for a device not provided by themselves. Even if you have the Canadian version of the phone, each of the different providers would have their own updates. The version from Samsung Canada would also have their own update. You would need to contact where you purchased the phone to ask them if an OS update is available.

If there is an update available for your version of the phone and Smart Switch does not reflect the update, you'll need to manually download and install the update yourself. There are sources, such as here, which provide instructions on the method. Note that you will need to find the appropriate firmware for your particular version of Note 8. If you are not familiar with installing firmwares, you might consider further research into the procedure. Alternatively, there may be some cellular phone repair shops which may provide the service.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tc250

I manually downloaded the android 9 firmware and flashed it onto my phone which worked. Thanks!