cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Liquid E GPS Capabilities

pszkraba
I'm a contributor level 1

I'm looking to buy an Acer Liquid E, but only if it has un-assisted GPS capabilites.  That is, will it work without a data plan?

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello pszkraba,

You will need a data plan to use the GPS functionality on this device. Your location services will not work if you don't have a data plan on your account, making it impossible for the device to know where you are located. 

I hope this helps,

pszkraba

I guess I should have been more specific in my query.

I don't want to use Google maps, but an app like Copilot Live in which all the maps are downloaded to your phone.  This would be ideal for me as when I travel, iI wouldn't incur huge roaming fees.

The Copilot Live site says it's prgram is compatible with The Acer Liquid E: http://www.alk.com/copilot/compatibility.asp

but I'm trying to find out whether or not Fido disables the un-assisted GPS function?

dave99
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

FidoJonathon is wrong.  The Liquid E does have a true GPS chip,  and I use it all the time without a data connection or in airplane mode.

The latest version of the Google Maps app does a fairly good job of caching maps for offline use,  but there's still no offline directions/navigation.

I haven't tried Copilot,  but I have a number of other apps that use GPS and work fine.  MapDroyd, for example,  provides free offline maps (but no address searching or navigation) using OpenStreetMap map data.

gcombar
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi Dave99, 

Do you have android 2.1? or 2.2?

I installed 2.2 and the GPS is not working properly on google maps.

Does anyone know why?

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@ dave99,

Indeed, your statement may be true about the GPS chipset. I never stated that the device did not have a GPS chip.

This device can probably work without a data plan. But our support on a smartphone with no data plan is limited and for that reason we won't be able to support it.

@ pszkraba

Third party application downloaded from the Android Marketplace our supported throught the manufacturer.

I suggest you contact Acer support to get these specific questions answered.

There technical support number is 1(866)706-2237.

I hope this helps,

dave99
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

@gcombar I have Android 2.2 and GPS+Google Maps works fine.

@FidoJonathan  If the real answer was "we won't support it," you should have just said that in the first place.  Your original statement: "You will need a data plan to use the GPS functionality on this device. Your location services will not work if you don't have a data plan on your account, making it impossible for the device to know where you are located."  is just plain incorrect.