cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About android 8.1

Timmoco
I'm a participant level 3

Just want to know when will you guys release the 8.1 update for google pixel 2 xl, im still having that 8.0 LTE bug.

18 REPLIES 18

Kenjuta
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

As of 8.1, they got rid of carrier specific versions for the phones. I think it's a new feature they added in to it so the OS can figure out the provision itself and do the proper configs

You will also notice that the other phones with 8.1 don't have any carrier specific build.

Even Verizon uses the same build as everyone else

Google rolls out the firmware in batches and even though they say hitting manual check for update will force it, it doesn't. A lot of people on the pixel reddit forum still complain they haven't got theirs yet

user456912
I'm a contributor level 1

@Kenjuta wrote:

As of 8.1, they got rid of carrier specific versions for the phones. I think it's a new feature they added in to it so the OS can figure out the provision itself and do the proper configs

You will also notice that the other phones with 8.1 don't have any carrier specific build.

Even Verizon uses the same build as everyone else

Google rolls out the firmware in batches and even though they say hitting manual check for update will force it, it doesn't. A lot of people on the pixel reddit forum still complain they haven't got theirs yet

Interesting, do you have a source you could direct me to?

Kenjuta
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

i don't have anything specific stating that but on here

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7hu67b/81_ota_update_verizon/

and https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7iah77/verizon_81_ota_available_pixel_2_xl/

someone has a pixel 2 bought from Verizon and got an OTA with the same build number as the build with no carrier specific on it when the November update had Verizon

my pixel 2 XL arrived with OPD1.170816.012 (Sept update with Fido/Roger specific firmware) and got OTA update to OPD1.170816.025 (November with no specific) and now OPM1.171019.011 (8.1 December with no carrier specific)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/07/check-update-button-pixel-nexus-devices-still-isnt-pulling-l...

this article talks about how check for update is supposed to force an OTA download but it seems to be broken right now and will be fixed in 2018

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Timmoco,

Welcome to the community!

The Android 8.1 update is available if you did not receive the OTA notification trying doing a manual update check if not you should be receiving it in the next few days as its currently being pushed out.

user456912

Is that really true? The reason i'm saying this is because the pixel phone is litterally checking this page (from Google): https://developers.google.com/android/images

If you notice, only Google's unlocked version is 8.1 and none of the other Telco's. If it was avaialable - I agree, definitely pressing the check version will trigger the update. 

Some good additional reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7bfkdr/psa_pixelnexus_updates_can_still_be_subject_to/

Timmoco

yeah i should buy it directly from google

Kenjuta
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that Fido/Rogers have a whitelist of IMEI that are allowed on their VoLTE and/or WiFi Calling

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/33942

amer007

Just got off the phone with google tech,the 8.1 update that we all see that is out now is BETA for both pixel,pixel xl and the new pixel 2,pixel 2 xl.The full update might be out at the end of the december or sometime next year as he was not sure about exact time.So in other words you want 8.1 update sign for google beta program get it,for me i am gonna wait till full is relesed.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone!

Android 8.1 for the Pixel and Pixel 2 is available now Smiley Keep in mind these updates roll out in batches, so everyone may not get them at the same time.

To stay up to date with upcoming updates, keep an eye on our Os Upgrade Schedule.

Bofh

The Google tech is most probably incorrect.  The full release of 8.1 is out, with many sources confirming that it is the full update. 

The OTA for moving from the 8.1 BETA to the full release started rolling out last Friday.

My Google Store Pixel 2 was on the BETA until last Friday when I got the OTA.  I'm on the same build as the one in the Factory Images page.

Hello User456912,

According to Fido's OS Upgrade Schedule...

Pixel update.jpg

Taken from here.

You should note that the rollout often occurs in batches. Additionally, while most of the updates come from Google directly, some of them would need to be forwarded from Fido for additional functionality (ie Wifi-calling). If you haven't already received the the OTA update, you should be receiving it in the near future. You might also consider trying a manual update check to see if the update has already been rolled-out to your device.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

user456912
@Cawtau wrote:

Hello User456912,

According to Fido's OS Upgrade Schedule...

Pixel update.jpg

Taken from here.

You should note that the rollout often occurs in batches. Additionally, while most of the updates come from Google directly, some of them would need to be forwarded from Fido for additional functionality (ie Wifi-calling). If you haven't already received the the OTA update, you should be receiving it in the near future. You might also consider trying a manual update check to see if the update has already been rolled-out to your device.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Did you even click any of the links in my comment that explain to you how Google updates the phones with carriers? 

Untitled.png

So instead of checking what Fido and Rogers say point-blank... and looking at the actual servers that host all updates... I clearly don't see 8.1 for Fido and Rogers. 

Untitled.png

Hello again,

Have you verified that list of OTA Images is in fact up to date? That list also shows the Verizon version to be Android 8.0. However, Verizon also clearly lists the 8.1 (OPM1.171019.011) as available (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Google only release carrier specific updates when needed other than that the regular update applies.

user456912

I'm still going to have to diagree. 

Untitled.png

Source: https://plus.google.com/+ElliottHughes/posts/2VmmB3jfeTp

And - here's me pressing this countless times. 

Untitled.png

If both your statements were true, my screenshot would be 8.0.1 or 8.1. Cough - another ambiguity as Verison is rolling out 8.1 but fido and rogers are doing... 8.0.1? lol. 

@user456912 wrote:

If both your statements were true, my screenshot would be 8.0.1 or 8.1. Cough - another ambiguity as Verison is rolling out 8.1 but fido and rogers are doing... 8.0.1? lol. 

Hello again,

The 8.0.1 is likely a typo. However, that column is the current OS. The column beside it is the upcoming OS: Android O 8.1, Dec. security update + Wi-Fi calling (see OS Schedule from above).

According to your own screen capture, the security update is Nov 2017. The most recent available OTA Image in that list is Sept 2017 for a Fido/Rogers specific version.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

user456912

@Cawtau wrote:

@user456912 wrote:

Hello again,

The 8.0.1 is likely a typo. However, that column is the current OS. The column beside it is the upcoming OS: Android O 8.1, Dec. security update + Wi-Fi calling (see OS Schedule from above).

According to your own screen capture, the security update is Nov 2017. The most recent available OTA Image in that list is Sept 2017 for a Fido/Rogers specific version.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Wink or maybe I didn't get my phone from Fido? Maybe - like source from Google says - my phone was updated to OPD1.170816.025 when it was delievered to me? Then when I plugged in my Fido SIM, there are no newer versions because... Fido hasn't provided any updates? Hmm. 

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Fido is pushing out the 8.1 the 8.0.1 is the current OS.