2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to FIDO!

I'm a Participant Level 2 mcons
I'm a Participant Level 2

2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to FIDO!

I previously had two-step verification set up on both Gmail and Facebook accounts, which I accessed on my old iPhone 5s. My provider for 15+ years was Telus. Yesterday I switched to Fido and got a new iPhone SE.

When I set up my Gmail account on my new phone, the verification code did not come through via SMS text, but I was able to set up the account on my phone by having the text sent to my partner's phone (he also became a Fido customer yesterday, but has the same phone he had previously - an Asus).

Fortunately, I was able to turn off two-step verification on my Gmail account by accessing the account on my work computer using one of my Gmail recovery codes. When I then tried to turn two-step verification back on (hoping it might have just needed to be "reset"), once again I did not receive the code via text so I had to turn it back off.

I have spoken to three different Fido customer service representatives, two of whom who did not think the Gmail problem was Fido-related (because I am still able to receive oterh text messages to my new phone).

However, I just discovered that I am also unable to get SMS codes to complete the two-step verification to log into Facebook on my phone - so obviously this is NOT a Gmail issue - this is a FIDO issue. There is no way that both Gmail and Facebook simultaneously decided to stop sending me SMS verification codes on the very same day that I switched to Fido.

Each Fido representative I spoke to confirmed that there was nothing blocking the texts from coming through on their end (I thought perhaps it was because the texts were from short phone numbers, and I read that certain providers block those texts).

This is obviously extremely frustrating. I have barely been a Fido customer for 24 hours and I've had to make three service calls, none of which resolved this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

** Edited to add labels **
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5

Re: 2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to FI

Hello @mcons welcome to the community!

Try disabling your WiFi and then retry the two step verification and see if you will get the text.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: 2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to...

Hey @mcons

Thanks for reaching out about this! 

You should definitely be receiving these short code messages, I'll send you a PM so we can look into it further. It might require some troubleshooting on our end.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 mcons
I'm a Participant Level 2

Re: 2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to FI

Hi there, I tried that yesterday afternoon and again last night and it made no difference.

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

Hello @mcons welcome to the community!

Try disabling your WiFi and then retry the two step verification and see if you will get the text.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

You might need to deactivate imessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Good luck

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5