cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-Step Verification on Gmail, Facebook - Stopped receiving SMS codes as soon as I switched to FIDO!

mcons
I'm a participant level 2
I previously had two-step verification set up on both Gmail and Facebook accounts, which I accessed on my old iPhone 5s. My provider for 15+ years was Telus. Yesterday I switched to Fido and got a new iPhone SE.

When I set up my Gmail account on my new phone, the verification code did not come through via SMS text, but I was able to set up the account on my phone by having the text sent to my partner's phone (he also became a Fido customer yesterday, but has the same phone he had previously - an Asus).

Fortunately, I was able to turn off two-step verification on my Gmail account by accessing the account on my work computer using one of my Gmail recovery codes. When I then tried to turn two-step verification back on (hoping it might have just needed to be "reset"), once again I did not receive the code via text so I had to turn it back off.

I have spoken to three different Fido customer service representatives, two of whom who did not think the Gmail problem was Fido-related (because I am still able to receive oterh text messages to my new phone).

However, I just discovered that I am also unable to get SMS codes to complete the two-step verification to log into Facebook on my phone - so obviously this is NOT a Gmail issue - this is a FIDO issue. There is no way that both Gmail and Facebook simultaneously decided to stop sending me SMS verification codes on the very same day that I switched to Fido.

Each Fido representative I spoke to confirmed that there was nothing blocking the texts from coming through on their end (I thought perhaps it was because the texts were from short phone numbers, and I read that certain providers block those texts).

This is obviously extremely frustrating. I have barely been a Fido customer for 24 hours and I've had to make three service calls, none of which resolved this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

** Edited to add labels **
6 REPLIES 6

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

You might need to deactivate imessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Good luck

GlitchZero
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Did this ever get resolved @mcons? I just ported into Fido and experiencing the same issue. Called support, was told to restart my phone, tried it off WiFi, etc. Can't get codes from ZenDesk, QuesTrade, eBay, PayPal, etc - I've tried just about every two-factor service I use and none come through.

Hey @GlitchZero!

What type of phone are you using and are all your other text messages being received?

If everything else is working can you please contact us and request to speak to our tech support? They'll be able to look into things further as this does seem to be network related. 

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @mcons

Thanks for reaching out about this! 

You should definitely be receiving these short code messages, I'll send you a PM so we can look into it further. It might require some troubleshooting on our end.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @mcons welcome to the community!

Try disabling your WiFi and then retry the two step verification and see if you will get the text.

mcons

Hi there, I tried that yesterday afternoon and again last night and it made no difference.

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

Hello @mcons welcome to the community!

Try disabling your WiFi and then retry the two step verification and see if you will get the text.