cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi calling and data usage when outside Fido cell service range

Pacificyew
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hi, I understand that wifi calling and texting impacts my minutes and texing in my plan.  But I don't understand if my home wifi use affects data usage. 

Since I turned the wifi calling on my iPhone, now when I'm outside of the range of the Fido cell tower network, and when I am only connected to local wifi in my home, it now says "Fido Wi-Fi" in the top left corner of my iPhone.  Why does it say Fido wifi when my wifi is through Shaw?  Does this mean that Fido is now tracking my home wifi use and deducting it from my data plan?

5 REPLIES 5

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Sure thing Smiley 

Let us know if there's anything else you need!

FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Pacificyew,

The Fido Wi-Fi calling should only show if you enable Wi-Fi calling on your phone and you lose connection on our network.The icon is to inform you that you're no longer using Fido's main network but using the Wi-Fi calling feature instead.

Wi-Fi calling won't use the data on your plan since it can only be used when you have access to a Wi-Fi network. You can find more information by clicking here. Hope this helps! Smiley

Pacificyew
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hi Terry, thanks for your great response.  One thing I still dont' totally get, and I didn't see it answered clearly on the site, is there any way that Fido Wi-Fi will somehow track my home wifi data usage (as it does with wifi calling, deducting it from my Fido plan minutes), and then deduct my watching a video over wifi from my Fido data plan limit? 

When using the Wifi-Calling feature, it will use the Wi-Fi from your home service provider ( in your case Shaw ). One hour of voice calling will use around 75MB and it will be reflected on your Shaw's data tracker.

The data included in your plan won't be used unless you had an app that was running in the background while using the Wi-Fi calling. Fido won't have access to your Shaw's internet usage since we're not associated with each other. I hope this clarifies everything. Very_Happy

Pacificyew
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hooray!  Thanks so much.