cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock iphone4 after porting from Fido to Rogers

doghouse
I'm a participant level 2

After 12+ relatively happy years with Fido, I am considering porting to Rogers.  Currently have 2 lines, with agreements expiring in Mar 2013 and Jan 2014.  I understand that the ecf will be waived if all the conditions are met.  My question is regarding unlocking the devices I currently have, an iPhone3GS and an iPhone4.  Since the agreements are being cancelled/completed by the inter-brand migration, can I get my devices unlocked? (paying the $50 unlock fee, of course)  Otherwise, how can I have these devices, legitimately unlocked, if I would no longer have them on an active Fido account?

3 REPLIES 3

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi doghouse,

Sorry to hear that you are considering leaving Fido.

If you wish for your phones to be unlocked, you can simply request the unlocks when you call customer service prior to the transfer. The unlock fees would be billed to your final invoice. 

v5v

Can you please explain to me WHY Fido demands $50 to relinquish restrictions on a device I bought and paid for? I can understand there being some limits imposed on my use of subsidized hardware, but when the contract has long since expired, how does Fido justify charging money to let me use my own property in the manner I see fit?

I have an old iPhone 3 that I'd like to use as an iPod but I can't do a **bleep** thing with it because Fido has it locked and won't let go unless I cough up $50! How is this fair or reasonable?

Assuming there is any valid reason for what certainly SEEMS like gouging, can you explain why Fido charges $50 when Telus only charges $35?

doghouse

Fido Stephen,

Thank you, very much!   Been pretty happy with Fido all these years but needs have changed and Fido doesn't quite meet our requirements now.  Hope we'll be as satisfied over there.