cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renewal and new device

randaya
I'm a contributor level 2

why is it that it takes numerous phone calls to  fido to get an ok deal(not a great one) on renewal.   In 2018 i renewed contract for 2 phones lines to get new devices which still ended up to be in their $400 per phone.  Been with fido since 2006.  Would it be better to go to look at PM or Koodo or similar company?   My contract is up for renewal in a couple months.    

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Randaya,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, the cost of new mobile phones these days has increased. The total cost of a phone is the upfront cost plus monthly subsidy (or tab) x 24 months. If you wish to decrease the upfront costs, your monthly subsidy (or tab) will increase. However, you could choose an older device where you could pay less upfront and might not have to switch plans. If you wish a newer phone, you will have to pay for it. 

I assume PM is Public Mobile. You should note that Public Mobile do not sell phones. They strictly provide services. In addition, when comparing the different providers, you should compare similar services. Public mobile offers pre-paid services only. Also, many of the plans with Public Mobile only offer 3G speeds.

You should also note that the Koodo plans do not incude the tab portion of the monthly costs. You would need to include both the tab and monthly plan costs to determine how much you would need to pay monthly.

**edit** Alternatively, if you do not wish to get a new phone, you could choose to switch to an in-market BYOP plan. You should note that the details of the in-market BYOP plans may or may not be the same as your current plan. It is not possible to keep your current plan and merely remove the subsidy.

Similarly, if you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

should have included Freedom Mobile

Hello again,

@randaya wrote:

should have included Freedom Mobile

It wasn't my intent to dissuade anyone away from the other providers. I do not wish to bad-mouth any particular provider. However, I do feel that people should be aware there can be potentially significant differences between the providers and the services they offer which can reflect in the pricing of plans. I firmly believe people should be fully informed before making any decisions. I mentioned the other two providers because those were the ones you considered. Since you're now considering Freedom...

I understand Freedom might appear to provide comparable services for less money. However, they often have more appealingly priced plans because they offer lesser service -- their coverage is still rather limited. They are a regional provider. Their so-called Nationwide network (previously called Away network) is actually roaming on the other National carriers. Are you aware that there may be usage limits on their Nationwide network? They might seem like great deals, but sometimes you might just be not paying for what you're not getting.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

Thanks Cawtau.   Does fido have an email for customer service.  I just don't have time to wait on phone for someone to answer and the chat support can't offer anything other than what is on website.

Hello again,

Fido does not offer customer service via email. You'll have to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they have verified some information, they can also access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

fyi...I have $55 5GB unlimited calls and text plan per phone.  Amount of data is just right.  currently have iPhone 8 and Samsung S9 both 64GB