"Upgrade your phone" page not working

"Upgrade your phone" page not working

"Upgrade your phone" page not working

I'm a Participant Level 2

"Upgrade your phone" page not working

I've been trying to access the "Upgrade Your Phone" page on the website for the last couple of days and keep getting this:


Error opening /com/fido/portlets/ecare/myphones/upgradehandset/UpgradeHandsetController.jpf


followed by a stack trace showing a ServletException and a NullPointerException.


Is this part of the page working for anyone else? I've tried in both Firefox and IE and get the same error dump.




***Edited to add labels***




Former Moderator

Hey Apkerr!

I would suggest that you send us an e-mail via our Contact Us page (link at the bottom of this page). In the e-mail, please include:

- Which internet browser are you using? (IE 7.0, IE 6.0 or older, Safari, Firefox, other – please specify)
- Do you use a PC or a MAC?
- Which operating system do you use? (XP, Windows 98, Vista, other – please specify)
- The date and time when you encountered this situation.
- The error message.
- The information, step by step, on what you did to encounter the error.

Please make sure that you provide us with your Fido phone number and your account's identifiation information.

Once we receive your e-mail, an agent will be able to have a ticket opened.

Before contacting us, you may try the following troubleshooting:

- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies and then try again.
- Refresh the page (perhaps more than once may be needed).
- Try using a different internet browser.

Let us know!

I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks, I've sent an email. It would appear that your "Email me when someone replies" checkbox doesn't work either, since I didn't get a notification when you responded.


The error happens in both Firefox 18.0.1 and Internet Explorer 9, and has been happening for at least a week or so. Clearing cookies and cache doesn't help. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.


I couldn't send the whole error since your email form only allows 10,000 characters, and the error fills the whole browser window. It starts with:


Error opening /com/fido/portlets/ecare/myphones/upgradehandset/UpgradeHandsetController.jpf.
The source of this error is:

com.bea.portlet.adapter.scopedcontent.ActionLookupFailedException: javax.servlet.ServletException
    at com.bea.portlet.adapter.scopedcontent.ScopedContentCommonSupport.executeAction(ScopedContentCommonSupport.java:699)

etc, etc.


I'm a Participant Level 2

Here is the response from support (name blocked out):



Thank you for visiting our website and allowing us the opportunity to assist you. My name is #####.


I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with this link online.


I can say that I've tested it in my Fido account as well and it is not working for anyone - they want us at the call center or at the store to deal with the renewals or upgrades because of the new conditions.


If you do have any questions about a renewal, a new phone or the requirements, let me know and I'll be glad to inform you by email.



The support rep doesn't say what the "new conditions" are that have to be handled by a person and can't be explained by the wesite.


Whoever does your website really should fix that page. Those error messages are not something that should be dumped to a user's page. It doesn't inspire confidence in your web security.