cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postpaid to prepaid recharge

asss123
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am outside of canada and cant go for suspension of account. If i convert postpaid to prepaid then i have to give migration fee. After converting to prepaid, is there any obligation to recharge for particular amount to remain the number active? Migration fee amount?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Asss123,

Welcome to the community!

You mentioned you are not able to opt for suspension of your account. Did you mean you are not able to cancel your services? Fido offers a temporary suspension for a reduced rate on eligible lines. However, you should note that the suspension is now only available for a period of 1 to 6 months. It should also be noted that the monthly fee for the temporary suspension may have increased since that post. It should be further noted that any monthly financing for a device would continue as per normal.

It might be possible to migrate your services to pre-paid. However, it appears as though Fido Pre-paid is no longer available for new customers. If you were to migrate your services to pre-paid, it's possible it could be to Chatr Mobile. That said, since you have post-paid services, it's possible you might be considered an existing customer.

If you are financing a device, I believe you would be required to pay the total outstanding balance when switching plan types or providers (see here). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any current migration fees to pre-paid as the removal of Fido Pre-paid is a recent development.

Prior to the removal of Fido pre-paid for new customers, though, the fee for migrating between plan types was $10 (see here). Unfortunately, I am unsure as to whether that fee has increased since that post, though. I understand that link notes being able to do so within the community. However, the situation has now changed since that post. These forums are community-driven and no longer intended as a venue for customer services.

You should also note that there would also be a migration fee to switch back from pre-paid to post-paid when you return to Canada (assuming that was your intention). It should also be mentioned that you would likely not be able to regain your current plan upon return. You would be required to obtain a new in-market plan when you migrate back to post-paid services.

It should further be noted that Fido no longer has a By the Minute or By the Day pre-paid offering. Their current offerings are Monthly pre-paid plans. They used to offer a Semi-Annually, or Annually pre-paid plan as well, though I do not see them on the website anymore (see here). You can find additional information regarding pre-paid service here.

If you are able to migrate your services to Fido pre-paid, there would also be a regular monthly fee. In addition, the varying voucher expiry dates would also affect what you might need to pay monthly to keep your number active.

Since the information has change recently, you might consider verifying with customer service. They have a dedicated pre-paid line (see here). While they also have other venues for customer service (ie Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter), you may need to discuss your options with the pre-paid line. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers