cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone plans for vacation

chris4
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

I'm surprised that there is not a FAQ section to explain how you can use your data plans while on vacation.  I'm travelling to Ireland and Europe for two weeks.  Is the only option to pay $12 /day ?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chris4,

Welcome to the community!

@chris4 wrote:

...how you can use your data plans while on vacation. ...

What type of plan do you have? You should note some plans (ie Basic Plans) do not allow for roaming. As well, I don't think Tablet (Data-only) or Data & Text plans allow for roaming either. If you do have a plan capable of roaming, as mentioned below, an option to use your services abroad is Fido Roam. Fido Roam is already enabled on eligible plans. If you did not wish to use Fido Roam, you would need to opt-out of the feature. In doing so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here. If you wished to opt-out of Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

To clarify, though, using Fido Roam Internationally (ie Ireland & Europe) would be $15 per day (see here).

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, you should note that disabling those settings does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is also generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes in order to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. Alternatively, people have also removed their Fido SIMs card entirely, However, enabling Airplane / Flight mode or removing the SIM card would also prevent your device from making and receiving calls using the local cellular networks.

It should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi @chris4 , welcome to the community. You have the option of paying per use or roam like at home. 

With Fido Roam, you'll be charged only on the days you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data when travelling. If you go over your regular voice or data usage limits, domestic voice and data overage rates will apply.

If you opt out of fido roam, then your pay per use charges would be for each phone call, text and data use. If you make a call its a per minute charge, and sending a text is per text ,data by mb, etc. 

I usually pick up a local Sim when I travel and it works out to about $30 for a 30 day period. So, a few things for you to consider.