Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iqaluit service

fai1208
I'm a participant level 3

Hello

I will be going to work in Iqaluit from July to Oct, then head to ontario for 2 weeks, then work again in Iqaluit until Dec.

As far as I know, I could only use fido-EXT in Iqaluit. 

I have done some researches and there are some restricitions of using fido-EXT including data usage. 

I get it if I do not use more than 25% of data(20GB) from my plan (80GB) in Iqaluit, I should be okay.

Is anyone able to tell me if I am right?

Thank you very much!

8 REPLIES 8

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fai1208,

Welcome to the community!

Yes, you are correct in that Fido/Rogers do not have any cellular towers in the area. Any usage would be on the extended coverage network  (Fido-EXT). You are also correct in that there are some limitations to its usage. However, I'm not sure where you found that 25% of data information.

Extended Coverage usage is only intended on a temporary basis. The majority of your monthly usage needs to be your home network (ie Fido/Rogers). It should also be noted that the limit apples to all monthly usage (talk, text, and data). **Aside: To access data in extended coverage, you will need to enable roaming data on your device.** If your monthly usage on extended coverage is greater than 50%, it would be considered high usage.

If the high extended coverage usage continues for 4 consecutive months, access to extended coverage will be blocked for 30 days (see here). Further high usage could result in a permanent block of access to extended coverage.

Unfortunately, from the dates you mentioned, it's likely you would exceed the extended coverage usage limitations. While not necessarily convenient, you might consider obtaining a temporary device/line with one of the available providers in the area (Bell and Ice Wireless).

That said, if you have access to Wifi up there and your device is supported for Wifi-calling, you might be able to continue with Fido using that feature.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wished to verify the information provided, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fai1208

Thank you very much for your reply!

About the 50% usage, I just want to make sure whether it is 50% of the total data of my plan, or 50% of my total data usage of the current month.

I have 80GB available data each month, so if I use less than 40GB, it is not considered high usage so that I can continue using fido EXT, right?

Hello again,

@fai1208 wrote:

...I have 80GB available data each month, so if I use less than 40GB, it is not considered high usage so that I can continue using fido EXT, right?

Not quite. The majority of your monthly usage needs to be on your home network. So even if you only use 5 GB (and calls / text messages) in a month, approximately 2.5 GB (plus calls / text messages) of that usage would need to be on the Fido/Rogers networks. If all of that 5 GB (plus calls / text messages) occurs on another providers' network, that would be considered high usage -- even though the total usage may be only a fraction of your monthly allotment.

As mentioned above, since there are no Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the area, it's likely you would exceed the monthly extended coverage usage limits for a number of consecutive months. That's why I suggested possibly getting a temporary number with one of the local providers.

That said, if you have access to Wifi up there and your device is supported for Wifi-calling, you might be able to access the Fido/Rogers networks using that feature.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fai1208

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you somuch for your clarification. It helps a lot!

So if I return to ontario in the 4th month, connect to the origin "fido" network, and more than 50% of the usage occurs on "fido", then I am not considered using "the high extended coverage usage continues for 4 consecutive months", right?

After I go back to Iqaluit for another 3 months of work, the count down should be reset, am I right?

Really really appreciate the help!

Hello again,

Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to the specifics of when the system might reset. As mentioned, the forums are community-driven. I don't actually work for Fido. I am a fellow customer. I have just accumulated tid-bits of information here and there. Any specific details would need to be addressed by customer service. That said, I'm not sure whether they would be able to provide a definitive answer to your specific situation.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fai1208

Hi Cawtau,

I just spoke to the customer service and they confirmed as long as my monthly data usage does not exceed 50% of my plan, which is 40GB in my case, my access to fido-EXT will not be blocked.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello again,

I understand that is what customer service may have told you. Unfortunately, however, I don't believe that information is correct.

I don't think the limitation on extended coverage usage is imposed by Fido, per se. It derived as a consequence of the roaming agreements between the Canadian mobile providers (see here). If the majority of a customer's usage is regularly roaming on another provider's network, that provider would rather the customer be one of theirs, instead of having them always roam on their network.

It shouldn't make a difference how much of your allotment is used. What matters would be time spent on another provider's network. If a customer is spending all (or majority) of their usage on another provider's network, it doesn't matter if a customer uses 1% or 100% of their monthly allotment. The other provider would consider that to be high roaming usage.

I still believe the information provided in my previous post is correct. Hopefully, a moderator can provide some clarification.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fai1208

Thank you very much for the detailed explaination. 

I agree with you, though I will give it a try until I am actually blocked. Then I will switch to another tele provider.