cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming calls long distance charge?

hsmolash
I'm a participant level 3

My Fido plan includes unlimited TALK. Nevertheless, would I be charged Long Distance or any other charge for incoming calls from Vancouver to Montreal, or for outgoing calls from MOntreal to Vancouver? I live in Montreal so I assume my Fido "home base" is Montreal. 

** Edited to add labels **

8 REPLIES 8

hsmolash

Hello, Cawtau.  Thank you very much for the detailed answer.  My tired brain can't absorb that much information but I've saved your email to a safe place and I hope it will all become clear in the morning. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hsmolash,

Welcome to the community!

There are no long distance (LD) charges on incoming calls from any destination (domestic or international) -- provided you are within your incoming local calling area (LCA)...

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number (ie Montreal). It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

All incoming and outgoing calls are considered airtime. Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Assuming your unlimited TALK does not include Canada-wide calling, you would not get charged LD for incoming calls from Vancouver to Montreal. However, calls from Montreal to Vancouver are considered LD and would be charged accordingly.

If your plan has Canada-wide calling, then LD calls across Canada would be included in your plan.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Scotte1
I'm a participant level 2

Hi just to be clear, my plan includes unlimited calls Canada wide. I will be in Europe. If I receive a call from anywhere in Canada  while there, I will not be charged long distance. I will disable my data plan and use wi if only while there. 

Thanks

@Scotte1 wrote:

Hi just to be clear, my plan includes unlimited calls Canada wide. I will be in Europe. If I receive a call from anywhere in Canada  while there, I will not be charged long distance. I will disable my data plan and use wi if only while there. 

Thanks

Hello Scotte1,

Welcome to the community!

The above information only applies when the phone is in Canada. If you're travelling outside of Canada, you will be roaming. Perhaps this post may provide some other useful information.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Scotte1

thanks for the link Cawtau

my plan is a Pulse 15 plan.

I only want to use the phone for wi fi when in Europe.

My concern is having the phone on and getting any ( mostly unwanted) calls & getting charged.,  even if I don't anwer them ( they would go to voicemail)

Is there a way to disable the ability to get a call & still use wi fi?

thanks

@Scotte1 wrote:

my plan is a Pulse 15 plan.

I only want to use the phone for wi fi when in Europe.

My concern is having the phone on and getting any ( mostly unwanted) calls & getting charged.,  even if I don't anwer them ( they would go to voicemail)

Is there a way to disable the ability to get a call & still use wi fi?

Hello again,

Since you have a Pulse plan, using your services abroad would be with Fido Roam. I understand not wishing unwanted calls or texts to trigger the daily $10 fee.

If someone calls the phone and you do not answer (let the phone ring through), the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the Fido networks (ie your phone is unavailable) and will not trigger the fee. However, if you decline or reject the call, the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the European networks and therefore will likely trigger the fee.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent incoming texts. As such, all incoming texts (SMS) are free of charge and will not trigger the daily fee. Note, however, that the data within any MMS (incoming or outgoing) will trigger the fee.

If you only wish to use Wifi, you could enable Airplane mode and subsequently re-enable Wifi only. Alternatively, you could also remove your Fido SIM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@Scotte1 you can turn on aeroplane mode then turn on your WiFi and you can use your phone for WiFi only.  

If you have a phone with WiFi calling you will need to disable WiFi calling also.

@Scotte1 you will be charged for roaming unless you have a travel pack or if you have a Pulse plan and the Fido roam feature you can use the phone just as you would in Canada and its $5 a day in the US and $10 a day for international you can get more details here.