cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting roam without knowing

westtttt
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hey I have never asked for Fido roam yet I received an email saying I requested to get roam on the same day that I requested a temp suspension for my number. Yes I am traveling yet I did not request roam at all??! Want to know how could this happen and need a resolution, due to time zone difference I can’t reach the live support now but roam charges on a daily basis...?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Westtttt,

Welcome to the community!

You should note that a temporary suspension is not necessarily active straight away. It is only added at the beginning of your billing cycle (see here). If you requested the suspension in the middle of your cycle, the temporary suspension won't be active until your next billing cycle. Did you request the temporary suspension at the end of your billing cycle?

With regards to Fido Roam, it is a service which is automatically enabled on applicable plans. There is no need to request Fido Roam. If, however, you did not wish to use Fido Roam, you would have to opt-out of the service. Opting-out of Fido Roam means any usage outside of Canada would be at pay-per-use rates (see here).

Most modern cellular phones automatically roam on foreign networks. Even with data roaming disabled, phones can still roam with voice and SMS. However, merely connecting to a foreign network shouldn't incur roaming charges. It is usage of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- which will trigger the Fido Roam charge (see here). Receiving SMS does not trigger the Fido Roam charges. However, you should note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily charge.

In addition, rejecting an incoming call should no longer trigger the Fido Roam charge either (see here).

The email you received would have informed you that your phone connected to a foreign network. It doesn't necessarily mean you incurred any Fido Roam charges.

If you wish to prevent your phone from roaming, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode. Doing so would disable the antennae and prevent roaming. You could then manually enable Wifi if required.

If you wish to discuss the details of your account, you might consider sending a moderator (MOD beside their username) a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll be able to access your account.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers