cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused about iphone 5 plan

rozay613
I'm a participant level 3

I have my iphone 5 reserved and I am looking to renew my contract and get the iphone 5 at the subsidized price, however every fido rep I talk to seems to tell me something else. I've spoken to online reps and reps on the phone and I still don't have a clear answer. My question is if I want to renew my contract and get the iphone 5 at the subsidized price, do I have to get a max plan or can I combine get a standard plan then add a data add on? I currently have the city fido unlimited plan + the $25 2gb add on. One rep told me I can get the subsidized iphone 5 on this plan while another told me I can only get it with a max plan. Can somebody please clarify this for me. Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

rozay613

Great news I just got off the phone with Fido and they offered me the 6gb $30 add-on to go along with a standard plan and I can sign a 3 year agreement on it. Great value for my money and the Fido representative was actually helpful. Thank you both for your advice I truly appreciate it Smiley

Hey rozay613!

I just wanted to mention that a combination of eligible voice plan and data option of at least 60$ value is considered a max plan. Normally there should be no impediment as to renew a contract and get a new phone while keeping the grandfather plan and option.

Hope it helps.

rozay613

I just called Fido and I told them my situation so the rep on the phone transferred me over to a lady then she said she was transferring me over to retentions then for some reason I got transferred over to a Rogers representative. The Rogers representative told me she did not know why they transferred me over to her but she gave me a direct number to call Fido retentions. I called that number and the automated self serve menu was not in english nor french it was an asian language. I tried calling 611 and now they're closed. Not the best customer service Fido..

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

That is truly unfortunate that you experienced such confusion with Fido's as well as Rogers' customer service. On the bright side, you can bring up this recent experience and use it to your advance during your next call to Fido. Perhaps Fido will be apologetic and offer you a special deal for all the run-around Wink

rozay613

Thank you both for your comments they were very helpful. Seeing as I am not satisfied with any of the max plans and the 2gb $25 add-on is not available for 3 year agreements, I will see what retentions has to offer. Should I call retentions directly or ask a Fido rep to transfer me over? I have never asked directly to be transferred over to retentions when I was speaking with a Fido rep on the phone about how other providers had better iPhone plans than Fido she recommended I buy the phone outright then get it unlocked.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@rozay613 wrote:

Thank you both for your comments they were very helpful. Seeing as I am not satisfied with any of the max plans and the 2gb $25 add-on is not available for 3 year agreements, I will see what retentions has to offer. Should I call retentions directly or ask a Fido rep to transfer me over? I have never asked directly to be transferred over to retentions when I was speaking with a Fido rep on the phone about how other providers had better iPhone plans than Fido she recommended I buy the phone outright then get it unlocked.

Customer service is instructed to transfer you to retentions if they think you are at risk of leaving Fido. So if you their data offerings at retail are unaceptable and are making you think of canceling or porting to another carrier, explain that to them. They will transfer you to retentions then.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I believe it depends on which department you talk to. That is, the retentions department, or Customer Relations, have access to "special" plans and have more flexibility that the normal sales department or regular front-line kiosks do not. For new customers who come off the street wanting to sign with Fido, they must choose a MAX plan. However, yourself as a loyal customer can probably negotiate a better "deal" with the Customer Relations department. Also, I believe there is the strict rule for iPhones that the combination of your voice plan and data plan must be a minimum of $50 in general. I think you could effectively negotiate your City Fido voice plan + data combo with the Retentions department and get the subsidized handset price. However, I don't think they would allow the $25 2GB data option. They would likely make you take the $25 500mb plan instead. Hope this helps Smiley

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

nick67 is correct. There are no longer any separate data plans available at retail, so your only option for an iPhone is to get one of the Max plans. But the existing policy still stands, which says you need a voice and data combo that is >= $50. So if you can get a non advertised voice and data plan through retentions, then you can still qualify for a discounted iPhone as long as you meet that requirement. Actually, if separate, then the voice plan needs to be >=$25 and the data option needs to be >= $25 and combined and minus any plan/data discounts, they must be >= $50.