cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call from 8442776920

timajchi
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I got a call from 844-2776920 and a person offered me to purchase a plan, he wanted my credit card info for confirmation, is it safe and trustable to give him my credit card?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

FidoKenny

Hey @Cawtau Smiley

I was able to confirm on my end that number: 1-844-277-6920 is from our outbound team.

Concerning a request for a credit card information, I would say that this would only be necessary for a brand new activation.

@timajchi Was the offer that you were contacted for only for a plan change? Or were you maybe also offered to do a phone upgrade?

Hello FidoKenny,

Thank you for confirming the number belongs to Fido. However, since scammers and spammers can spoof any number, no one can guarantee that the actual callers are from Fido (or their outbound team). As mentioned in my previous post, people have spoofed the RCMP phone number pretending to be from the RCMP.

Asking for credit card information may be legitimate for a brand new activation. What's even more suspect, however, are the reports that sometimes the callers claim the offers are only available during those calls and attempts to re-contact the outbound team reveal the customers' accounts have no record of such offers. It is possible the outbound team simply did not record the offer details in customers' accounts. However, these are tactics the scammers and spammers exploit for their benefit.

Again, I do not wish to make the outbound team's job any harder. They need to find a better way to reach customers -- a way in which customers can trust it's actually them.

**edit** Other than the calls appearing to come from Fido's outbound team, how can customers know it's not Vishing?

Vishing.jpg

~taken from here.

Customers won't know if any offers or incentives from the caller are fake. If I'm not expecting a call from a particular bank or company, etc, all of those calls are suspicious. Customers are being asked to trust a phone number, which can very easily be spoofed.**

Cheers

LokiSkogliJotun
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I got a call from this phone number.

They offered me a couple phones and I told them about the one that I wanted. LG G8.

they told me it wasn't available and I said that it was available online I was just online looking at it yesterday. 

And they hung up on me. 

Hey @LokiSkogliJotun

Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post here as there's an existing thread on the same subject.

I'm really sad to learn that the call was disconnected, that's definitely not the experience we want for you.

If you'd like to further explore your options, don't hesitate to give them a call back or reach out to us here. Alternatively, we can also send you a PM on the Community.

Let us know.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Timajchi,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the phone number is from Fido's Telemarketing team. However, with the recent abundance of SPAM and SCAM calls (and fraud), I think it's now dangerous to blindly say the calls are from Fido. Spammers and scammers can spoof any number or caller ID (ie Police; see here). It wouldn't be difficult to search online for the numbers used by the various telemarketing teams. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

@FidoSolutions: Does the Telemarketing team verify credit card information? It seems counter to what most authorities recommend: Never give out personal information such as account numbers, social insurance number (SIN), mother's maiden name, passwords or other identifying information in response to unexpected calls. ~ from link above.

Although not mentioned, I would include credit card information in that list as well.

Perhaps the calls you received were from Fido's Telemarketing team. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to not trust the number anymore. I understand the telemarketing team have a job to do and these comments might make their job more difficult. I think they need to find a better way to reach customers -- a way in which customers can trust it's actually them.

That said, it's hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to certify and authenticate caller ID (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @timajchi,

Welcome to the Community!

Yup, that's one of ours Smiley It seems you received a call from our Outbound team!

I hope that clarifies the call for you,