cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are texts sent to my phone free when I am in the USA

rothhall
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Are texts sent to my phone free when I am in the USA. Is it free to recieve a text while I am in the USA as long as I do not text back.  Do I pay the daily roaming fee if a text is sent to my phone while I am in the USA.

Also, If someone calls my phone and I do not answer it while I am in the USA, am I charged the daily roaming fee? If I do not answer the phone while in the USA, will the phone still go to voicemail?

4 REPLIES 4

FidoPhilP
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That is an excellent question. And one that stumped me to say the least.

It would make little sense for you to be charged on this. I would definitely suspect that the landline might get charged for long distance to retrieve your voicemail inbox, however I don't think it would be charged. 

I hope this helps!  

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rothhall,

Welcome to the community!

While it is true that you will not get charged for incoming SMS, you should note that receiving (or sending) the data portion of a MMS outside of Canada would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily roaming fee. You should also note that MMS data does not get transmitted via Wifi so it would still be considered roaming data even if you were connected to Wifi.

In addition, you should also note that rejecting or declining a call while outside of Canada is not the same as not answering the call. If you do not answer a call (ie let the call ring through), the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the Fido networks. On the other hand, if you reject or decline a call when travelling, the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via a foreign network. The former would not incur the daily roaming fee while the latter will likely incur the fee.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

bumblebee2
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

What if I retrieve the message using a landline of destination country, will I be charged of roaming?

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @rothhall

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

You'd only be billed if you send a text message, make or answer a call or use data.

There's no charge for incoming text messages or for incoming calls you don't answer. If you don't answer a call, it will go to your voicemail. This is not billed but you would be billed if you retrieve the voicemail while roaming.

Hope that helps!