cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrongfully billed “late fees”

Vhuk
I'm a participant level 2

Fido keeps charging me late fees on my internet account even though my payments are made over a week in advance of the due date (e.g bill due  December 1 but paid November 17). What makes it even more annoying is that there was a credit on my account for over $11 that was brought forward to the next billing cycle but they still charged me a late fee. I spoke to someone the first time it happened and they told me it was a system error and wouldn't happen again, yet this is the third consecutive month in which it has happened since then. Anyone else experiencing this? 

And shocker...I've been on hold for over an hour trying to get this resolved :/. 

2 REPLIES 2

FidoStephane

Hi there @Vhuk

To clarify, should you miss your payment's due date, your next bill will include the unpaid balance + your new monthly balance + a late fee. The late fee will be a 3% charge of the unpaid balance. That said, you will also be charge a prorated late fee on your invoice.

For example, if your bill had a total of $100 and was due November 1st, but you paid it November 17th, you'll be charges $4.55 in late fees. The breakdown will be the following for your December bill:

• $3.00 for bill cycle ending Nov 1st (August 2nd to Nov 1st). You are charged for the full bill cycle (3% of $100 = $3.00)
  • Plus, you'll be charged $1.55 for the 16 additional late days from November 1st until payment is received on Nov 17th ($1.55 = $100 x 3% x 16 days / 31 days)

Hope this helps and if you need any assistance with your Fido account, you can reach out to us on these channels. We'll be happy to review the situation with you Smiley

Vhuk

Yes, I understand how late fees work; however, my bills have always been paid 2 weeks prior to the due date and the credited balance has been on my account for months far exceeding the onset of these false late fees. Even as such, the amount I was charged doesn't account for $1.55 + 3%  of my bill, so it still doesn't make any sense. I've already spoken to 3 Fido associates who confirmed that there weren't any late payments and who were just as confused as I was as to why there were late payment charges 3 months in a row. The only explanation provided was that there was a "system error". At this point, these "system errors" are going to cost consumers as they add up. Had I not been someone who checks my bill regularly, they definitely would have gone unnoticed, and it's just one more thing to add to the list of issues diminishing my trust in Fido.