cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling - Long distance Prefix - Frustration

Methree
I'm a participant level 3

Ok, so I have WiFi Calling functioning on my Iphone 6. Works great in poor cellular coverage areas.

However, it constantly tells my I have to add a '1' in front of the number I am calling.

The frustration is 2 fold. On calls received on my phone and trying to call back the person, because the number captured does not have a '1' in front of it, and secondly when from my phonebook the entry has a '1' recorded with the phone number. Some tweaking by Fido required

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

So here is the answer we got. 

The calls are done based on the last cellular location your phone was in and the number you are dialing. This is why you could be getting the message even if the call is not long distance. 

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Methree

Now I have ensured that all my phonebook entries have a '1' in front of the number regardless of whether the number is in my area code (i.e. 514) or not.

Today I received a call from someone in my phonebook (which has a '1' in front of the number) and when I attempted to call them back from my 'Phone' 'Recent' I got the same message to dial 1 before the number.

Next step please !!

Did you select the contact in your contact list directly?

What happens when you manually dial the number without passing through your contact list?

Methree

Well after a few weeks, the calling is now working provided every number has a '1' in front of it. That implies 11 digit dialing.

The bad is that if I want to call from my 'RECENT' lisst a caller who is not in the phone book, the number was recorded as 10 digits, so when I call I will still get the warning

All of this only applies on WiFi Fido.

Thank you

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Methree, 

I am looking into this, I'll be back once I have an answer for you. 

Just to be sure, you are asked to dial 1 even when the 1 is entered on your phone?