cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get charged for another phone number?

bell083
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I started using Fido service from August. And this is my first time to pay my bill. And I was charged $109.46 for August. I checked my account with a shock and found another phone number (which I didn't even know that existed!!) from my account. I think this is why I received such a crazy bill and want to know how did It happened, and what should I do to solve it... 

+  I got msg from number 707-273-1744 which says...  'Your reimbursement concerning data overcharges is now ready. Data rates may apply. (with link) ' Have I got such message because of this? But since I haven't overused data last month and this doesn't really look like a matter of data usage, I find this msg very suspicious. Is this a scam? 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Bell083,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you received that unexpected charge on your first bill. Since your issue relates to your bill, you will need to contact customer service to go over your bill. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Had you clicked on the link provided in that text message? That message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers