cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of fraud!!

sadeghianv
I'm a participant level 2

I have been a victim of fraud and have not received any support from fido!!!

Last week I realized that someone hacked into my account and ordered and received two iPhone 11 phones with a total value of more than $3500. I immediately called fido and informed them about the issue. The customer service opened a case for me on Tuesday, Nov, 9th and notified the fraud department. They told me that they will complete their investigation within 5 days and will get back to me. They also said I should not be worried and if it is a fraud case they will cancel the charges on my account. It has been more than 9 days since they opened my case and I still have not received any update from fido. I called them multiple times and talked to different customer service representatives, but no one gave me a proper answer that why my case has not been investigated yet.

I have been a fido customer for the last 12 years and encouraged my family to also join fido. I made all my payments on time and never had a problem like this. Once a problem like this happens it is very unfair to treat a customer like this!!! I am very disappointed and thinking of switching to another phone company. Can anyone help me with this issue? 

I already filed a police report and have been following up on the issue with the police fraud department as well. 

5 REPLIES 5

sadeghianv

About four weeks ago I realized that my account was hacked. I immediately informed the police and Fido's fraud department. After spending more than 10 days constantly following up with my case with customer service and live chat, I finally received a call from the fraud department that they are going to cancel all the extra charges. It has been four weeks since then and I still have extra charges pending on my account. I contacted customer service again today and they said there is no pending credit on my account and I have to call the fraud department (basically do the whole process again!!). I have been a fido customer for the last 12 years, but I am really exhausted and frustrated about how they are handling this case. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I file a CCTS complaint report? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear that @sadeghianv,

To clarify, by cancelling the charges you will have nothing related to that phone purchase pending for your next invoice.

In other words, you will only be billed for your monthly service fees as usual. For any billing inquiry, you can reach out to us at these channels so we can take a closer look.

Hope this helps.

jogrady1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I've had the same problem, but the problem was fixed pretty easily.

I noticed on a Sunday night a few weeks ago, that someone had ordered a phone. Starting 2 days prior, I was being flooded with an excessive amount of spam emails, too - in order to hide any confirmation emails or reciepts. I only noticed because I recieved a text from Purolator.

This is because your email, password, peronal information was leaked in a data breach (haveibeenpwned allows you to check for free) on another website that you use the same email & password for. This is why you're supposed to use strong, unique passwords. Password managers are essential for helping with this!

I was able to luckily call Purolator that Monday morning, and they let the driver know NOT to deliver it. Good thing too, because it was being delivered that day. It was also being sent to an apartment in Ottawa that was listed for sale recently! 

When looking for information, I saw someone else say these scammers used a fake ID! Such scum!

If it gets delivered to them, you can report/blacklist the IMEI number for the new phones. This can be found in the same place you'd go within your Fido account to repair devices. That way, the phones are useless.

After that, setup "rules" on your email account, so any email from Fido (or, you can have a rule saying 'emails that contain_____' (a phrase like purchase, reciept, shipment) will be forced into the inbox and alert you. Do this for your most essential accounts.

Rtam_1001
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm dealing with the SAME thing!!! I just moved to Fido in September with a very good back to school deal month to month plan and now i'm really regretting this.  I'm so frustrated and shocked when i see i have two new expensive iphones and crazy expensive plans that i have to pay monthly(scammers also signed a 2 yr termfor me)!  Waiting for a callback from fraud team now...i'm trying to be patient but i'm worried this will take a long time and i have to eat up those costs by those horrible scammers!!!  Upgrades shouldnt be this easy....they should somehow confirm this with the *real* owner before proceeding .  Urgh!!!!

Oh @sadeghianv , I am so sorry to hear that you are a victim of fraud.  That is such a gut wrenching experience.  All I can suggest is let the fraud department perform their investigation. I know that this is not the experience they would want any of their clients to suffer through.  If you were told that they would be looking into it, then give them time to do their job and get back to you. So many hackers and thievery out there. Please find patience and trust that this will be fully investigated. All the best for you, OL