cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade phone on current plan that has bonus data

beesmart621
I'm a participant level 2

I am looking to upgrade my phone on my current plan, but my plan has some bonus data accumulated on it.  Would the bonus data come over with my plan to the new upgraded phone?

4 REPLIES 4

beesmart621

Thank you for the replies. I believe I have been able to keep my bonus data. I had a BYOP plan that I started in Aug 2019 (no data), upgraded my plan in Mar 2020 (to include data). Then in Aug 2021 I was able to upgrade my BYOP phone with one of the options that my Fido account provided. I have a new pre-certified phone with my previous/current data plan and bonus data is still intact.  Fido has been great so far. I appreciate all of the bonus data given just for being loyal and I didn't even have to ask! Thank you Fido!

Good morning @beesmart621 , glad it worked out for you. Cheers 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Beesmart621,

Welcome to the community!

What plan type do you currently have? Also, are you intending on purchasing your device outright or by financing? If you have an older subsidised plan (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc), the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans.  You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. Once the payments have competed with the new program, your only remaining monthly costs would be for services.

If you have a subsidised plan and did not switch to a new one, you will not automatically get a new cellphone. In order to finance a device, you would need to switch to a new plan as the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model. However, you would be able to keep that plan if you purchased your device outright. If that's the case, you would likely be able to keep any accumulated bonus data.

**edit** It should also be noted that if your plan was a BYOP under the subsidised program, that plan may also not be compatible with the new financed model. You might also need to get a new plan under the new model.**

On the other hand, if you have to switch your plan, in keeping with the new financed model, the bonus data may not be available with the new plan. Unfortunately, promotions and loyalty offers (ie bonus data) may not be compatible with all plans. You might consider contacting customer service to see if the bonus data is available on a new plan. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Good morning @beesmart621 , my understanding of the bonus data is if you are only upgrading your device, then your plan and bonus data stays the same. BUT, if you change plans to a different tier plan, for example change from large to medium you would lose your bonus data. If you change your plan from large to another large you keep the data. So, if it's just a device upgrade and no change to your plan, I'm feeling you are good. If I'm incorrect on this maybe @KAPABLE-K @ or@Cawtau could interject