cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited incoming calls & Unlimited Canada wide calling question?

Ahussain
I'm a participant level 3

Hi

I bought a $35 plan a week ago(recently introduced by fido) which includes the following:

-200 day time minutes

-Unlimited incoming calls

-Unlimited early evening 6:00 pm and weekend

-Unlimited text messages Local, Canada/US and International

-Unlimited Canada wide Calling

-Caller ID

-Voicemail

I know if I receive incoming calls and make Canada wide calls in Montreal, these are free and there is no extra charges as per my plan. But if I go to Toronto and receive incoming calls from Montreal, or make calls Canada wide from Toronto to any where in Canada, does it cost me LD charges?

When I bought this plan I was told that now there is no fido zoning with these plans like before (they are free from zoning limits), I will not be charged for any incoming calls and also can make Canada wide calling from anywhere even I am not in Montreal. Can some body please advise me on this how true this is or share his experiences on these issue. Would really appreciate for the support.

10 REPLIES 10

Ahussain

Hey Ahussain,

Thanks for your message!

Since your plan includes Canada wide calling, you will not incur any long distance charges even if you receive a call while you are outside of your local calling area (as long as you are in Canada, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world for free and they are unlimited). So, you can be in Toronto and they would be the same as if you received them while in Montreal. The same applies for if you are in Toronto; you will not incur any long distance charges for local calls in Toronto, for calls back to Montreal or calls from Toronto to Vancouver for example.

I can confirm that what the sales representative was indeed 100 % accurate.

Hope this helps!

Stephen

Samina
I'm a participant level 1
Can we receive call in any where in world for free

WallMan
I'm a contributor level 1

No. if you receive a call in the US or Europe, it will cost you money.

Canada wide calling is just free for Canada only. 

I have made calls from BC to Ontario and have made calls while in Ontario back to BC and there have been no LD charges.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@WallMan wrote:

I have made calls from BC to Ontario and have made calls while in Ontario back to BC and there have been no LD charges.

This is just wrong.

It make NO difference where the person calling you is located. The oculd be calling from France, China or the moon, it doesn't matter at all. This is not affected by whether you plan has unlimited long distance, no long distance or anything else. 

For incoming calls, the ONLY factor that determines whether it would be long disance is YOUR location relative to your home local calling area. If you are outside of your home LCA, then you will incur long distance charges for ALL inbound calls, whether they are calling from beside you, in India or Spain. If you have long distance in your plan, then your LD usage for these calls will not be charged.

This is the type of confusion that occurs because of our carriers love of Local Calling Areas, something that is completely unique to Canada.

WallMan

@10yearfido wrote:

@WallMan wrote:

This is just wrong.

It make NO difference where the person calling you is located. The oculd be calling from France, China or the moon, it doesn't matter at all. This is not affected by whether you plan has unlimited long distance, no long distance or anything else. 

For incoming calls, the ONLY factor that determines whether it would be long disance is YOUR location relative to your home local calling area. If you are outside of your home LCA, then you will incur long distance charges for ALL inbound calls, whether they are calling from beside you, in India or Spain. If you have long distance in your plan, then your LD usage for these calls will not be charged.

This is the type of confusion that occurs because of our carriers love of Local Calling Areas, something that is completely unique to Canada.

Huh? 

All I know is with the plan that I have, local calling area's don't matter. I Just got it in December 2012.

Home location: BC

Travelled to new location: Toronto

Made calls and received calls with my phone while in Toronto to BC and to Nova Scotia. 

Result: No long distance charges.

So is this a new thing with Fido and their new Unlimited Canada wide calling plan? 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@WallMan wrote:

@10yearfido wrote:

@WallMan wrote:

This is just wrong.

Huh? 

All I know is with the plan that I have, local calling area's don't matter. I Just got it in December 2012.

Home location: BC

Travelled to new location: Toronto

Made calls and received calls with my phone while in Toronto to BC and to Nova Scotia. 

Result: No long distance charges.

So is this a new thing with Fido and their new Unlimited Canada wide calling plan? 

Sorry, I probably misread both the OP and your own posts. I thought they were asking about whether the location of the caller made any difference when they are receiving a call. Re-reading it, I think you were correct in your answer, which was more about roaming and not LD.

joys2_4

Hometown: Vancouver, BC.

My mom just joined the $50 plan which includes the Canada-wide calling.  For business, she travels to Calgary.  She can receive incoming calls and call back to Vancouver with no long distance charges, is that correct?

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3
Yes, just be mindful that you are under the Fido/Roger cell coverage.

Ahussain

Thanks Stephen for your kind help and support.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
My pleasure!

(for those wondering, Ahussain had asked my via private message, and above is my reply to him)