Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use data while on a call

Sarbaaz
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

I can not use mobile data while on a call. My data disconnects the moment I make or receive a call. I have a new Huawei P30 Lite and I have a 5GB plan. I also had the same issue with my previous phone. Any idea on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Ali

7 REPLIES 7

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

all i had to do is get new sim 2019 version , installed, and reset apn settings on samsung s9+ (purchased at samsung store, no contract). and all good go, thx to fido staff at wem.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Sarbaaz,

Didn't your new phone came with a new SIM? Fido usually includes a new SIM in the package.

In the meantime, while waiting on your new SIM you could try a few things.

1. Re-seat the SIM card (power off the phone takeout the SIM put it back in and power up the phone)
  2. Try disabling VoLTE
  3. Ask fido to do a reset to switch on their end.

Sarbaaz

Hi,

There was a data block on my line since 2017 which no one told me about it. I had to call fido support and rep "John" told me about it and he removed the data block. I think fido needs to train its agents well. I have chatted few times with fido support and they all blamed the network and the sim and even sent me a new sim but never bothered to check my plan and features or check for blocks. This is waste of customers time. I sincerely thank John for being the first agent to check the account and plan features told me about the data block on my line. Please close this topic as the issue is now resolved. Thank you.

Hello again,

Glad to hear everything seems to be sorted now. However, it's curious that the issue was due to a data block on your line. From what you mentioned, you were able to use data but the data would disconnect during calls. A data block on your account would presumably block all data usage on your account, not merely data during calls. From the information you provided, there would have been no reason to suspect a data block was in place -- you said you were able to use data. I understand you feel your time was wasted, however, troubleshooting issues is a process. They try to provide support based on the available information. If the issue still doesn't get resolved, they would then delve further for additional possible reasons. It's easy to say in hindsight that they never bothered to do a certain act.

Again, I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sarbaaz,

Have you previously been able to use data while on a call? To clarify, do you have any issues making calls or using data separately? Are you having this issue everywhere or only at certain locations?

Have you noticed to which network your phone connects when a call is received? In order to use data while on calls, your phone would need to connect to the networks with HSPA+ (H+ or 4G) or LTE. If your calls connect via 2G or HSPA (H or 3G), it's unlikely you'll also be able to get data to work. Have you verified that your phone has voice over 4G or LTE enabled? You can do so via Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Mobile network. From there, you should enable 4G as well as voLTE (see manual here).

Was your phone purchased from Fido? If not, at one point, Fido did not support certain services (ie voLTE or Wifi-calling) on grey-market devices. However, they have recently supported those services on some grey-market devices.

If the voice over 4G and LTE were already enabled and you're still not able to use data while on calls, it's possible your phone is connected with a 3G or H connection when you're using data. Depending on your location, it's possible that could be the best connection given your particular set of circumstances. You can get an idea of the surrounding cellular towers here

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Sarbaaz

Hi,

As I mentioned before the VoLTE is enabled. While using data on 4G and upon receiving or making a  call the 3G icon appears and it quickly disappears and then  I lose data access and once I am done with the call the 4G shows up and data start working. This is a brand new phone and I got it from Fido after I did a HUP last month. I had the same issue with my previous phone. I have chatted with Fido support this morning and the rep suggested it is a sim issue and she is sending me a new sim which I should receive this week. I am thinking my existing sim is not LTE enabled. I will let you know if the new sim resolves the issue or not.

Thank you.

Hello again,

@Sarbaaz wrote:..As I mentioned before the VoLTE is enabled. ...

I apologise for your having to repeat yourself, however, I do not see that mentioned in your earlier post.

How old is your SIM? Unless it's very old, most SIMs would be LTE-capable. That said, SIMs can get damaged. Hopefully, a new SIM will solve your issue.

If a new SIM doesn't help, it is possible that your area is not able to adequately receive LTE signal. The different frequencies vary in their characteristics. With the exception of 700MHz, the higher frequencies of LTE don't travel as far or penetrate as well as the lower frequencies of 2G or '3G' (see graphic here). If your location lies outside of 2600MHz or 1700/2100MHz coverage and your surrounding cellular towers do not operate 700MHz, that could also account for your findings. Are there any others around your location able to access Fido/Rogers LTE?

Again, hopefully a new SIM will help your situation.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers