cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Roaming Services

Seenu5
I'm a participant level 2

I am currently outside Canada and turned on my phone to receive SMS, my data services are turned off. However i got a message from Fido

"Hi, it's Fido: Welcome abroad! You've got Fido Roam so go ahead and use your plan's existing data, talk and text like you do at home. The rate is $15/day (+tax) in this destination and is valid each day until 11:59PM ET, no matter what time zone you are travelling in. Happy travels!"

Does this mean i was charged $15? I was chatting with fido agent and she said there is no way to know until the bill is generated. And she suggested many things that i should be careful, like not to pick or reject a call.

I'm wondering if there is a way to stop roaming services and receive only SMS. I do not want to pay for roaming services, why should i be charged for something i have not opted for.

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Seenu5,

Welcome to the community!

Just receiving that text does not mean you will be charged, it's just to let you know you have the feature.

Turning off data roaming on the device is not a full proof way of stopping data many times small amounts of data will still be transmitted which would activate the roam-like-home feature.

All Fido plans come with the roam-like-home so when you got the plan you opted for the feature because it is included, you can however, opt out of it by contacting customer service and ask them to remove it then you will be charged per usage.

Seenu5

Thanks for the reply.
I do not want to cancel all the roming services, i just want to keep SMS.

After reading bunch of threads i understood I can not do that. I am wondering why Fido is not able to stop all the roming services that would incure cost to the user, or let user choose to opt in or opt out. 

It is like I go to the restuarent and i am being charged for something that i did not order. I understand that I user will some how consume a tiny amount of data even after the data is turned off because of the mobile device settings. 

I wish fido had an option to turn off the data, thats all I am saying.

Hey @Seenu5 

Unfortunately, just sending/receiving SMS is not an option as this does require connection to the network. We do appreciate your feedback, however.