Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Mexico

princess1313
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi

I will be travelling to Mexico for a week, i just want to know what i need to do to my phone not to get any surprise charges do i put my phone on airplane mode? Do i need to remove my sim? Not interested in taking a fido roam plan, as i have wifi at hotel.

Just want to make sure I will still be able to send pics and go on watsapp while being on airplane mode and wifi?

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

alexsttto
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I will travel to Mexico and I want to get a sim there. What do I need to do with my Fido phone to be able to use it there free of charge? I have the S8 and the IPhone 11. Thank you for your help!

Hello Alexsttto,

Welcome to the community!

Are you planning on using both of your phones? Since the Galaxy S8 was introduced before December 1, 2017, it's possible your phone is locked. You might consider verifying that phone is unlocked before your trip. The iPhone 11 would have been introduced well after that date so it should already be unlocked.

If you do not wish use your Fido services while abroad, you might consider removing your SIMs before you reach Mexico. If you switch SIMs after you reach your destination, it's possible the phones could connect to the local networks before the switch and inadvertently use some services to incur Fido Roam charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Princess1313,

Welcome to the community!

If you do not wish to use any of your Fido services, your best option is to enable Airplane or Flight mode on your device. You can then manually enable Wifi when required. Airplane mode should prevent your phone from connecting to local cellular services.

Have a great trip and hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoKenny

Hello @princess1313

If all you're planning to do is to send pictures using What's app, the best thing is to close the Data Roaming in your phone settings.

From there, the data won't work on your phone and the only way for you to use What'sApp will be to be connected on WI-FI.

If you're planning to use your phone in any way: (Calls/Text/Data), your best option would still be to use your Fido Roam. 

You can find all the details about this on our blog here.

I hope this helps.