cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Hong Kong! Eye opener!

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Happy 2014 everyone! The clock's just stroke 12 for me here in Hong Kong! I've been here for the past few weeks and its been a blast! There's a lot of great stuff here in Hong Kong, but for this forum I will stick to the wireless stuff!

As I'm staying for a bit over a month I have to think of a solution for my wireless needs, unfortunitly for Fido, the offer cannot be compaired to what's offered here locally.

Hong Kong has A LOT of options when it comes to cellphone plans, even a single wireless company offers 4 types to prepaid sim card plans to choose from (requires different sim cards).  There's one that is a 3/8 days unlimited talk + data package, one for exclusively roaming, one for mainly data usage, and one 'general' plan. I choose the data package and oh my was I impressed! I converted the costs to CAD so you can compaired prices with canadian equvilents

The sim card costs $14, of which all $14 goes to my balance, I also bought an additional $28 voucher that gives me $5 bonus (so a total of $47) which needs to last me 30+ days.  local calls are $0.04/min which is considered EXPENSIVE due to my particular sim card plan. The main benefit of my sim card plan is cheap data. On the go rates is $0.04/MB, also considered expensive. this sim card plan offers data packages. a 30 day/8GB package costs $26! That's 1 month of 8GB data at 4G speeds for $26!  There's no tax in Hong Kong, the only additional fee is a $0.30 tunnel fee for ability of use cellphone in underground subway tunnels.

I guess the story here is that check your travel destination wireless offerings and compair rates to save money!

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

FidoAmandaH
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Happy New Year Wufai!

Glad to know you are enjoying Hong Kong, we started to wonder where you went these weeks! Thanks for the travel roaming tips as well!

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

happy new year to you wufai.

I believe the pricing you are getting. I am heading to the Carribean in a couple months for 2 weeks. Data there will cost me only $6 for 2GB for each week, for a total of $12 for the 2 weeks (2GB each week). When I was in Europe a year ago, 1GB cost me $16 for a week. All of this is 4G.

You don't really get a  feel for how much we pay in Canada for a little data until you travel a little.